12 tips on how to stay calm in a stressful situation

When I was younger, I had grandiose goals and aspirations, and a strong desire to achieve them every day of my life. In those days, my greatest desire was to live each day with dignity and a peaceful mind – to be unflappable and to move peacefully from one task to another with concentration and with a calm, low-key energy.

Everything seems to be just? Maybe not. But there are measures we can take to, at least, often to remain calm. Why be calm? Hell, because it's a fantastic feeling! Anger and impatience wear on our hearts, our souls and our families. When we control our emotions, we have time to do more, communicate better and live more productive and purposeful life. Listed below are twelve recommendations on how to keep cool and stay calm in different everyday situations. 1. Try not to dramatize

It's very easy to dramatize and make mountains out of molehills. In any situation of stress when a problem comes to you, resist the impulse to exaggerate the negative. Avoid the words "always" and "when". You might feel like Stuart Smalley, but if you tell yourself "I can cope", "it's okay" and "I'm stronger than that" – it really helps to look at the problem differently.

2. Think before you share don't tell issue, do not post in the blog and do not negotiate on Twitter your problem. Do not discuss it with friends immediately; first, digest it yourself, it will give you time to calm down a little. Sometimes, friends with the best of intentions too sorry for you. They only add fuel to the fire, and you are even more upset.

3. Discover metaphors and visualizations as a way to stay calm that's what helps me: I try to present the problem as a node. The more I panic and pull the ends, the tighter the knot is tightened. But when I fully concentrate, I can calm down and loosen one thread at a time.
It also helps if you imagine yourself acting reserved and focused. Stop screaming and move as slowly as possible. Speak slowly and quietly. Become the peaceful person you see in your imagination.
Here's another trick: do You know any person who can be called up? Think, how would this person on your site. 4. Identify factors that put you off There are certain situations that cause you to lose control? Determine the specific factors from time of day to the extent of congestion (or the degree of boredom), to blood sugar levels. If you lose control when too noisy – or too quiet? Knowledge of their personal stimuli will help you to stay calm during the day.

5. Realize that you can control your emotions Remember the times when you were able to successfully stay calm in a difficult situation. Perhaps it was when you wanted to yell at a spouse or children, but then the doorbell rings, and you could instantly rebuild. Remember that you can repeat it, knowing what annoys you and what can help you maintain peace of mind.

6. Create a calm environment with relaxing rituals calm music If it comforts you, use it. If the silence soothes you, use it. Maybe you turn on soothing instrumental music, dim the lights and light scented candles.
When you come home from work, take a few minutes to get your mind to calm down before you plunge into the family business. Sit for a couple minutes in the car and take a few deep breaths. Throw off the shoes and drink a few SIPS of water. Such rituals are extremely calm during the transition from one activity to another. 7. Take care of your urgent needs make Sure you get enough sleep and get enough protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals. Most often I start to get annoyed when I have low blood sugar. However, it is sufficient to eat something nutritious, and it becomes (relatively) easier.
Also try to exercise. Daily workouts help relieve physical tension, and this in turn helps you to control your feelings. If I feel the need, instead of half an hour of Jogging I'm doing kickboxing. It helps. Avoid excessive consumption of sugar and caffeine, ine obezvozhivanie the body. Drink a large glass of water and see whether you are better will you be more relaxed and attentive. 8. Pay attention to the soul and spirit depending on your religious affiliation, semitestacea or pray. Practice yoga – or just a little sit still. The ability to find peace of mind will serve you well. Take the lesson of meditation and learn techniques that will help to control your man of the worldly mind.

9. Be distracted Instead of thinking about the same thing, do something interesting, exciting or creative. Try to laugh (or to laugh at yourself). Watch a Comedy or read a blog that always make you laugh. When you animated, it is much easier to remain calm.

10.Take a day off If I run like crazy to not take a day off, I know for sure I need it. If I will be able to bring themselves to spend the whole day not at work, I always return to a more relaxed, confident and full with fresh ideas.

11. Don't forget to breathe When my children were very young, we helped them to calm down by teaching them belly breathing. It still works – for them and for me. Breathing with the diaphragm helps immediately relieve the tension, and it gives you a few moments to calm down. Often this is enough time to assess the situation and to restore a sense of control.
During a normal abdominal breathing, your belly will literally rise and fall. To practice, place your hand on your stomach. Breathe in through the nose and look raised your hand to breath. Hold your breath for a few accounts and slowly exhale. 12. Reflect on quotes that can help to calm your mind Here are a few quotes that seem to me inspirational:
"You are the sky. Everything else is just weather" by PEMA Chodron (Pema Chodron)
"Calm, focused mind, not aimed at harming others, is stronger than any physical force in the universe-Wayne Dyer (Wayne Dyer).
"It is useless to rush things. If I'm living on the run, so I'm living wrong. My habit in a hurry will not lead to anything good. The art of living is to learn to make time. If I sacrifice my life for the sake of haste, it will be impossible. In the end, to hesitate means to spare time for reflection. This means to set aside time to think. Slowly you will have time everywhere," Carlos Petrini (Carlos Petrini – the founder of the movement "slow food".
"The only important reason to stay calm – calm parents hear more. Discreet, receptive parents – those whose children continue to say" Mary Piper ( Mary Pipher).
"Keep calm, relaxed, always in control. Then you will understand how easy it is to be in harmony with yourself" Paramahansa Yogananda ( Paramahansa Yogananda). published by P. S. And remember, only by changing their consumption — together we change the world! ©

Source: bigideas.ru/posts/1/74

Tags

See also

New and interesting