Reflections on the subject of artificial hamburger

Recently I read on Hightime that Google is going or was going to buy a company that is engaged in the development of vegan meat and the purpose of the project is to make a hamburger taste no different from the present, but done completely artificially. As my profession is related with the food industry, I immediately thought about such an interesting, unexplored and just as useful Maillard reaction, and decided to speculate on how to make faux hamburger.

The essence of the process occurring in the Maillard reaction is the reaction of amino acids and sugars. To describe in detail this process I honestly can't, of physical chemistry at our faculty was not. It is briefly written on the wiki, but even it says that the reaction is not fully understood.

Every day we prepare something in the kitchen (chicken, beef, vegetables) and we have at hand is very complex synthesis of a huge quantity of substances, which are responsible for roasted, boiled, baked, etc. But how can we do this again? To fully explain what is happening in the chicken that we fry, no one can, because it is very difficult to predict in what direction the process will go and what substances will be formed. But experimentally people have been making reactionary flavours (process) and used in the food industry. By the way the first one was on the market cubes "Maggi".

The essence of manufacture is that in the reactor (shown in picture) placed aqueous solution consisting of water, sugars and amino acids. The proportions of 60% water and 40% solids, but it is necessary to experiment because the more solids in solution, the more substances will not react, but simply burning. The solution was then heated to a temperature of from 200 to 230 degrees and cook for 20-40 minutes. Just like home, only in the laboratory. So you still need to take into account the activity of sugars in the reaction. They go roughly in this order: pentose> hexose> disaccharide. Fructose, for example, is much more active than glucose, glucose and maltodextrin. Continue to be a great work, in determining the desired temperature, and the main components of amino acids. Phenylalanine, for example, glucose and fructose gives a taste from chocolate, flower color, and cysteine with different sugars – chicken.

But we talked about the aroma and taste. What do we do with animal protein, which is much better absorbed in the body than a vegetable? In hamburger meat, most often beef.
In this respect, I see the future development of protein extraction from insects. Of course for the average person it sounds disgusting, but if you look at things rationally, insects are one of the most highly enriched protein beings. Yes, and in farming they are unpretentious.
In order to turn creepy crawlers into a useful and nutritious product, we will need a lot of maggots flies, crushed into a homogeneous mass. Add 0,01-0,5% solution of lye, while stirring continuously. Temperature of 40-80 degrees. Filtered from the insoluble particles of the entire mixture. To the protein precipitate, podkisst extract acid and precious product settles down. After separation of the pure protein, we dry it in the spray-drying and the resulting powder is of white color which in no way resembles his creeping-flying past.

Here in this project, for example, the Creator offers there are larvae as they are constructed just the home farm for growing maggots.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/70515034

Yes, I agree that many people in the world eat insects, but I was born in the European part of the globe and this abundance will cause me psychological trauma if Moscow suddenly start to sell fried cockroaches. But the trend is clear, even a civilized humanity because of increasing population, already looking towards insects. But from the powder, you can make burgers, sausages or steaks of any shape.
So I am sure that in near future we will see products that replicate the characteristics of its historical predecessors, but by themselves will be high-tech, industrial food. All the technology is there, and the standards will be sold in expensive stores and acquire a status label. Nothing wrong with this phenomenon, I don't see us anymore — much food, all natural, need to spin. published

P. S. And remember, just changing your mind — together we change the world! ©

Source: geektimes.ru/post/259546/

Tags

See also

New and interesting