Elizabeth Gilbert: learn from your mistakes, and repeat so on

The key to the secret of the well lived life, says Elizabeth Gilbert:

"Fail (and often catastrophic), learn from your mistakes, and repeat so on»

"Almost all the women I know, drive themselves into a corner pathological fear that they simply not enough in this life to do something. That in itself is ridiculous, absolutely crazy – because the women I know in this life doing many things, and they do everything perfectly.

My cousin Sarah, for example, studying for a master's degree in international relations while working for a nonprofit organization that arranges playgrounds for children in poor public schools.

Kate sits at home and raising two absolutely fantastic kids I have ever met in my life – and at the same time working on a book with recipes.

Donna is producing Hollywood blockbusters. Stacey runs one London-based Bank. Polly just opened a bakery where the bread is prepared by hand.

From whatever side you look – all of these clever, inventive women should glow with contentment a. But instead they are almost always twisted with doubts, and worries that they in life nothing is achieved.

Sarah worried that she would have to travel the world instead of trying to get a master's degree. Kate is concerned that she throws my education in the trash, staying at home with children. Donna believes that it puts his marriage in jeopardy by working so much. Stacy is frustrated that the capitalist world banking business is killing her creativity. Polly worries that her private bakery enough kapitalistichno. They are concerned that they all need to lose 5 kg.

Seventy one million one hundred three thousand three hundred eighty four

For me to look at their endless back and forth is just unbearable. The fact that I also do the same. Despite the fact that I've written five books, I'm worried that I haven't written the right book, or that perhaps I have devoted too much of my life, books, and so abandoned the other aspects of life. (For example, I'd be happy to lose 5 kg).

And I am very interested in one question: can we relax at last?

On the threshold of the next decade, can we write a universal agreement to stop drive yourself crazy in pursuit of perfection – the fact that we must all be perfect friends and perfect mothers and perfect workers and perfect lovers with perfect bodies, perfect people, who profess philanthropy and the cultivation of vegetables without nitrates in moments of relaxation from the management of corporations, while simultaneously standing on my head and playing the guitar with his feet?

I look at my life and the lives of my friends – all of this mind-boggling number of opportunities for self-expression, with all the talent – and sometimes I think we are all mice in a giant maze, running around in this crazy, trying to get out.

But maybe, if you think about it, this insane delusion has its historical background. We have several centuries of life experience of women-educated, independent, worthy of imitation (such women until recently simply was not), therefore we have no maps of the route.

We are all running around like blind in this maze of infinite possibilities. But the risks are very high. We're wrong. We make sharp turns, in hopes of a way out, only to smash his forehead on the blank walls and start over. We click on the mysterious protrusions in the maze, hoping to receive the promotion – only to realize "Oh! It was a call button of an electric shock!»

Moreover, we add the stress of constant comparing myself to others, which is really quite depressing occupation. My sister, Catherine, told me recently about a discussion with her cute neighbor who, while looking at how Katherine spent the whole day organizing the game in search of treasures for children in her street, said mournfully, "I could never be as good a mother as you." And then my sister turned to her, took her by the hand and said: "Please! Let's not friend to do it»

Ninety eight million one hundred ninety four thousand seven hundred fifty two

Photo Carter Smith

No, really: let's not? Please!

Because my heart bleeds when I imagine how many amazing women are waking up at 3 am and you reproach yourself for what they did not go to art school, or because they did not learn French, or because they are not organized play in search of treasures on their street.

I'm just afraid that if we continue this pursuit of perfection we will all become exhausted and nervous as street cats living at the dumpsters near the emergency exits of Chinese restaurants: always looking for scraps in the eternal survival, tearing his own hair in a nervous tick.

Can we, huh?

Let's just agree that we (all of us) may be disappointed in yourself in the next decade. Come on, let's let it just be. Let someone else be a better mother than you ever could be, at least for a day. Allow someone else to go to art school. Let someone else enjoy a happy marriage, yet You keep hitting on the wrong guys. (Hell, I did the same thing and it can survive!).

Meanwhile – find the wrong job. Lose patience and yell at the boss, stop to prepare for this marathon, devour a mountain of cookies the next day after You get on a diet. Blow out all the initiatives and courage to start all over again.

It will be interesting:

Julia Cameron: the rules of development of creativity

Elon Musk: We live in a huge virtual game

That's what we should all learn to do because it is and create a map of the route – after the turns are not there, resulting in unpredictable wilds, open portals to new worlds. So come! Generations of descendants will tell you so much, believe me – because you have become their guiding star, new road, paved with old-world errors.

If need be, fall flat, get up, but for the sake of us all – do not cease to do so.
Draw the route of his life.published  

©Elizabeth Gilbert

Translation: avatarakali

Source: avatarakali.livejournal.com/286500.html

Tags

See also

New and interesting