What kind of technology from the film "Martian" we have

Head lёtnymi operations NASA Robert Frost commented technologies, which are shown in the film "Martian" by Ridley Scott. Engineer sure that the view of the film for twenty years to come is very optimistic, and almost everything that we see on the screen, still in the early stages of development.

Warning: possible spoilers (quite a bit) i>

«Luckily I - nerd!» i>

US National Aerospace Agency has developed a technology readiness level scale TRL. Scale allocates nine levels of readiness of technologies: from the first to the sixth - the development within the framework of research projects, with the seventh and higher - development work and demonstration of efficiency technologies. When people talk about "today's technology" - mean levels of the eighth and ninth scale TRL. Engineer Robert Frost рассказал, that much of the technology in the film is below the sixth level, many - less than a third.

Radiation protection h4> One of the most important issues to be solved for the flight to Mars, it is protection from radiation. The film "Martian» no mention of this, does not explain what mechanism uses a team to protect against radiation. Perhaps they are using new materials and medical equipment, but at the moment in the world there are no such decisions. This technology is not higher TRL 1.

The ship "Hermes» h4> The spacecraft, which astronauts travel between Earth and Mars, in many ways similar to the ISS. We see like solar panels and domes. But there is that until we can build in the center - a rotating torus that creates artificial gravity for the improvement of crew and reduce the effects of weightlessness on the body. Robert Frost wrote that the creation of such a mechanism is necessary to consider how to allow permanent access of the crew how to make a torus move smoothly. The level of this technology - the third or fourth.

"Hermes" using ion engines. "We have limited experience with them, but in a very small scale. Enlarge they are not easy, a lot of problems to be solved. " This technology is between the fifth and seventh levels.

Rover h4> To the left in the photo - the existing prototypes of the rovers NASA. Right - the machine, which was used in the film. They do not vary greatly, but the version in the "Martian" - is more advanced. Existing rovers currently not yet tested in suitable conditions, so that such a film is now the rover has six TRL and more.

For heating to the protagonist uses Rover RTG. Is it safe - described in this article, .

The Diving Bell h4> To the left in the photo - the deputy head of NASA Dave Newman. It is to obtain this position for a long time developed suits to fly into space, in this photo - one of its prototypes. In a vacuum, or close to the human body to seek to expand and suit must neutralize this pressure. "I do not know what makes this suit from the movie. I understand that it provides pressure because the film shows how it is reduced. But it does not look creates pressure. It's kind of hi-tech voodoo. We do not have this technology. We have only certain aspects of it at the level of TRL 4 to 9 "- says Frost.

His view on the suit from the film on Geektimes.ru presented Nikolai Moiseyev - co-founder of the American private company Space Final Frontier Design, which develops space spacesuits.

Source: geektimes.ru/post/263830/

Tags

See also

New and interesting