Anton Chekhov: 8 Quality educated man

Russian classics more than 100 years ago, I wrote a letter to his brother, a talented artist, but infirm and suffering from binge drinking.

Anton Chekhov, knowing the weakness of his brother, and always worried about him, frustrated due care attitude to his brother's gift. He left an emotional, outspoken letter, which certainly need to read to us.

Great classic of our literature is able to teach us more, which did not have time to teach in their books.

MOSCOW, 1886.

You often complained to me that you "do not understand!". On this even Goethe and Newton did not complain ... You perfectly understand ... If you do not understand myself, it is not the fault of others ...

I assure you that, as a brother and a close person to you, I understand you and heartily sympathize with you ... all your good qualities, I know, like the five fingers, appreciate them and treat them with the deepest respect. I am, if you want to prove that I understand you, I can not even list these qualities. In my opinion, you are kind to the rag, generous, not selfish, you share the last penny, sincere; you're a stranger to envy and hatred, naive, sorry for people and animals, not Yechida, forgiving, trusting ... You have gifted over the fact that no other: you have talent. This talent puts you above the millions of people on the earth: for one artist alone account for 2 000 000 ...

Talent puts you in a special position: whether you're a toad or a tarantula, and even then would be respected because the talent of all is forgiven. The disadvantage is you have only one. It is false and your soil, and your grief and your catarrh of the intestines. This is - your extreme bad manners. Excuse me, but veritas magis amicitiae ... The fact is that life has its own conditions ... To feel at ease in an intellectual environment not to be among it stranger and himself are not weighed down by it, you have to be in a known manner mannered ... Talent has brought you in this environment, you belong to it, but ... you pull on it, and you have to balance between the public and cultural tenants vis-a-vis. It affects the flesh of middle-class, who grew up on the rod, at reynskovogo cellar on handouts. Win it difficult, terribly difficult.

Anton Chekhov and his brother Nicholas

Educated people, in my opinion, must meet the following conditions:

1) They respect the human person, and therefore always indulgent, soft, gentle, compliant ... They do not riot over a hammer or missing gum; living with someone, they do not do this favor, and go, do not say you can not live! They forgive the noise, cold and overcooked meat, and severity, and the presence of outsiders in their housing ...

2) It is not compassionate to the poor alone and cats. They are sick and soul of what we do not see with the naked eye ...

3) They respect the property of others, and therefore pay the debts.

4) They are afraid of lies and candid like the plague. Do not lie to them even in trifles. Lies offensive to the listener and debases the speaker in his eyes. They are not drawn, keep themselves in the street as well as at home, do not let dust into the eyes of smaller brothers ... They are not talkative and did not climb to the revelation, when they do not ask ... Out of respect for other people's ears, they are often silent.

5) They do not despise themselves with a view to bring in another sympathy and help. They do not play on the strings of other people's souls, that in response to his sighs and nursed them. They do not say: I do not understand! ..

6) They are not vain. They do not take such rhinestones as acquaintance with celebrities, delight in counter Salon'e, a tavern known for ...

7) If they have the talent, they respect him. They sacrifice for him peace, women, wine, vanity ...

8) They cultivate aesthetic. They can not sleep in the clothes seen on the wall of the slot with bedbugs, cheesy air to breathe, walk on the spit upon the floor eating from kerosene lamps. They may try to tame and ennoble sexual instinct ... [...] Raised same in this respect is not so cuisines. They need a woman is not a bed, not a horse sweat, [...] does not mind expressing itself in the ability to cheat and lie to the false pregnancy ... He tirelessly, Especially artists need the freshness, elegance, humanity [...] ...

Etc. These are educated ... to raise and not be lower than the level of the medium, which was not enough to read only Pickwick and memorize a monologue from Faust. It is not enough to sit on a cab and go to Yakimanka to a week to get away from there ...

There needs continuous day and night work, eternal reading shtudirovka, will ... Here, every hour ... Travel to Yakimanka and back will not help. We must boldly spit and jerk sharply ... & quot;

Happy life of Mark Twain
35 brilliant and short quotes Chekhov
Damn fine humor Terry Pratchett

via www.adme.ru/tvorchestvo-pisateli/chertovski-tochnyj-yumor-terri-pratchetta-722660/

Tags

See also

New and interesting