In Sydney, there were parking signs on electronic ink

Photo The Register i> sup>

Sydney Australian authorities have financed the installation program парковочных signs , placard which is the technology of electronic ink. The main reason for this decision: the practicality and ease of maintenance of such signs for city services involved in the control of road traffic in the city. In Sydney frequent sporting events at the local stadium, and while they conduct traffic jams have become a serious headache.

Therefore, during sporting events parking in certain parts of the city is prohibited - violators of the tow truck arrives. Earlier, city services had physically changed labels with text on these signs to inform drivers about the parking ban at certain times. Now, access to such a sign is carried out remotely, allowing operators to change the display to change the sign and promptly, and without on-site visit of a special vehicle. Himself sign for his meager power uses the energy of the solar cell, due to which it is illuminated at night. It is clear that such a sign would be easy to read in bright Australian sun.

Photo Visionect i> sup>

On the degree of economy of the city budget in this area can be judged by circumstantial evidence. For example, in Los Angeles for bigger department spends $ 9.5 million a year for the installation of signs restricting parking. On average, the production of one such sign costs taxpayers $ 12.19; these costs add more expenses for its installation and removal, which raises the cost to $ 17 mark. Road services have to annually establish 558,000 such marks.

Photography Flickr i> sup> - signs in Los Angeles

Existing US electronic road signs have become a victim of hackers. Last summer, the Department of Transportation North Carolina reported several incidents in which unknown text modified road board, moving them Posts comic content. In San Francisco on electronic signs on the streets of the city, the drivers once observed cautionary notice: "Godzilla Attacks! Turn back! ". As a result, the Ministry of Homeland Security recommended by the manufacturer of electronic traffic signs Daktronics Inc to strengthen security measures to prevent such incidents in the future.

Source: geektimes.ru/post/259376/

Tags

See also

New and interesting