Robert Downey Jr. has presented seven year old boy bionic prosthesis, stylized hand "Iron Man"

Photo from twitter MS OneNote i>

Actor Robert Downey Jr., who played in the trilogy of films "Iron Man" Tony Stark, along with volunteer projects Limbitless Solutions presented seven year old boy Alex bionic prosthesis, made in the shape of the hand of his hero costume.

Project Limbitless Solutions was founded by young scientists in the field of engineering Albert Manero, who is now a graduate student at the University of Central Florida. Their goal is to create prostheses for children from low-income families. To date, Albert and his team have achieved impressive results: using the 3D-printing they make bionic prosthetic hand that can move, wiggle your fingers and bend. Production of the prosthesis lasts from 30 to 50 hours, and the cost is $ 350. The creation of the hands of "Iron Man" team took 40 hours, from design to manufacturing.

"My parents always encouraged me to use my knowledge obtained in order to make this world better and dream big" - says Albert.

Project Limbitless Solutions operates in the framework of the Microsoft OneNote The Collective Projects , designed to enable students and young scientists to work together on unique ideas and to implement them.

Albert and his team have previously worked with Alex and prototypes were made for him prostheses. But this time, their activity was attracted well-known actor, that was a surprise for a boy who loves movies and comics about superheroes.

Photo from twitter MS OneNote i>

Video, which depicted the transfer of the prosthesis, has collected more than 5 million views on YouTube. Participation Downey Jr. may draw attention to activities Limbitless Solutions, which they really need. Hand "Iron Man" was printed team at their own expense, with the money the boy's parents did not take the young scientists.

If Albert and his team will be able to make your project a commercial success (he is now unprofitable), then thousands of children from poor families around the world with congenital or acquired injuries can get effective and cheap to manufacture artificial limbs.

Source: geektimes.ru/post/247220/

Tags

See also

New and interesting