What do Americans eat? Big tour of supermarkets

1 When I wrote about my food basket that I buy in the States for a week, many Russian immigrants who settled in the country, trying to shame me: What do you say, you go to Walmart? The same store for the homeless! Here I would go to Whole foods! .. It was funny to read those comments. Some stereotypes about Walmart exist here, as we do about Auchan, but the Americans are doing it. Buy once a week - convenient to the same products, as a rule, are the same everywhere, and in hypermarkets cheaper. From the point of view of the experiment, this network fits perfectly: it is possible, and in Moscow in ABC taste to go, but it will not be a typical Russian supermarket. So on and pushes - Walmart in America is like Auchan (or OK) in Russia.

2 Right from the entrance begins fruit and vegetable section. I like that the products are sometimes try to spread nicely. Where it is possible. An important difference from our stores: fruit there is no need to weigh the cashier to do it yourself.

3 Current prices will not paint themselves will count if you want. Fruits look nice, but not because unnatural, but just them for you neatly and removed outright moldy stuff that still no one will take, and it kind of spoils. Watermelons in America throughout the year, with its own: there is also the southern states, where they can be grown all year round.

4 The same goes with other fruits, vegetables and berries. Cherries and raspberries in December in a climate of middle lane - a dream! And you can always buy a special set, where everything is already cleaned, cut: Know your mouth only to shower! And why not? The man who first thought of shooting with orange peel, cut watermelon and sell ready-made multimillionaire probably already.

5 Garlic dozen different species. Normal, packed marinated, chopped into small pieces ...

6 greens and salads of all kinds.

7 delicatessen. It sells cheese and ham, but was such a turn that is not risen. Christmas on the nose, people bought for the festive table!

8 But four different windows with meat products. A huge stand with bacon, ham separate breakfast sausages and all sorts of semi-finished meat like chevapchichi, hamburger patties and so on ...

9 Evil tongues say that Wal-Mart is a store that specializes in the food is not. Well, here one of these refrigerators ten rows. And in each sold one thing. Gromny choice. All of these racks, about twenty offices - this ice cream. Yes, there are hundreds of its species, honestly, honestly!

10 Next comes a long refrigerator, and all full of all kinds of frozen pizza.

11 And on the pizza range ends. Chicken wings, ready meals, all sorts of pies. Demand creates supply, and competition creates even more product variants. Not really a fan of this ready meal: it is tasty, but certainly harmful. Himself buy only pizza and sometimes nuggets.

12 If we talk about sauces, they are also a million options. Americans love and all sorts of pickles, and even make a popular snack of pickled cucumbers as a sauce. Took squeezed himself pickles on a piece of meat.

13 Meat. Pork chops, steaks and rib eye stuffing. Of the ordinary, here it is sold, including in the form of sausages.

14 Well, pork, ham and similar delicacies. Somewhere place in bulk and bottled you can take right away. Popular and whole hams, their time for the festive table and buy. Thanksgiving turkey at Christmas pig.

15 Great choice of condiments. It is somewhere one-tenth, just two small shelves were. Seasonings are divided into two categories: the kitchen for amateurs and pros. In the first case on the packaging write for a particular dish is a bag.

16 Meat and vegetable preserves. Separately with the spam, the glory that once was home video filmed somewhere in the abandoned town of Montana.

17 A very long shelf cereals, flakes, pillows and the like. From this fanateyut Americans of all ages.

18 Chips. I stopped eating them long ago, but the lure of packing, of course. Chips are never eat in suhomyatku, always with some sauce (dip), which is also a great variety.

19 But from this, I can not refuse in any way ... .beef jerky. All men love to feast on America these pieces of dried beef. But a little expensive ... ten bucks for a large stack, which still flies the stomach :)

20 Cheese counters. Cheese dozen different kinds necessarily packed. By the wrapper, as you already understood, Americans are scrupulously. The manufacturer shall be visually recognizable and visible from afar. Well, four of the most basic types of cheese: plain, cut into pieces (there are rails and cheese), grated cheese sticks, fresh Mexican cheese, similar to our Adyghe ...

21 yogurt. Almost all written that they are low in fat.

22 Cheese Philadelphia. Near put bagels - so round bun with a hole in the middle, but not bagels. And with these bagels with cream cheese - that's currently Breakfast Cabinet pleasure, I tell you!

23 Bread is also a huge whole regiment, but as for me, we have it varied. In fact, there is simply laid out the loaves from different manufacturers: here it is, mainly, all white. There rye, but Russian black or falls short of Borodino. And Mexican tortillas too popular.

24 Milk sold in large bottles. Because the other system measures not liters and gallons. Due to falling oil prices, gasoline in the US now costs less milk.

25 eggs. Here and have nothing to add.

26 All kinds of soda and other harmful drinks. Upstairs - portable refrigerators. In the heat is very important.

27 Brewer's shelves. Beer - the only alcohol that you can buy at Wal-Mart, and in general in any store, except for special alcoholic. For all states not say, but in Virginia so. Beer a lot. Americans second beer nation, which I respect. Including because they have taken the best from the major brewers planet - Belgians. Perhaps nowhere else except in these countries, you will not find such a variety of types of beer is. Again, like the Czech Pilsner? Here's a Czech. Like the English ales? On health drink! For special perverts and "Baltika" in Russian shops sell.

28 Along the product series can walk endlessly, but I end up, otherwise this post will stretch forever. At Wal-Mart sells a lot of things more. Clothing, for example. Not very fancy, but quite practical and cheap. Pants socks only there and buy, with three years and in large quantities. Well, they have funny shirts. This year's collection is fashionable shirts with uporotyh seals. One even tried, but somehow did not buy ...

29 Before the winter holidays, many more are coming to Walmart and gift cards. The fact that Russia has somehow never caught on in the States was the main gift for friends, but not too close. Each chain of restaurants and shops have their cards. Do you know what your friend likes to go to steak houses Outback? Give him a card for $ 25. That's enough, that he kept his wife in a restaurant, just this amount usually costs a dinner for two. There are pre-paid credit cards. Do not know what to give, and cash in an envelope indecent? Give a Visa or Mastercard, people will decide what to buy.

30 At the finish with Walmart. Normal same shop, is not it? Lord snobs, calm down and go at least once, it's not so bad :)

31 For comparison, show and other large supermarket. He is also quite "popular" and called Costco. This is an analogue of our Metro: Cash & Carry, small wholesale. There is also access system on the cards, but may obtain such anyone, just need to pay the $ 55 membership fee per year. Or just pay card system American Express, they have a joint agreement.

32 Yes, I forgot to tell you more as a Wal-Mart, which is at the entrance of every store is worth a number of electric platforms that can take anyone. They are intended for the elderly and disabled, but I repeat: anyone can take. Help you do not require.

33 Costco also sells everything in the world, from food to clothing. With clothes there is one trick: Unlike Walmart, you can find and "branded" things at very low prices. Odyozhku sold individually.

34 But the food will have to take the bulk, a few pieces. Or just a big special packaging. Such banks Philadelphia or ketchup for a year is enough!

35 Gift cards are also advantageous, for example, four to 25 will not be 100 and 80. And more cakes are amazingly delicious! I give a good gift to the American Council: can give him for any occasion such fancy shower heads. With high probability, it will be a standard. And here do not understand normal hearts: watering can even be removed and screwed to the wall! But it's a different story, maybe I'll write a post about the typical American homes.

36 And here to buy home appliances can be cheaper than anywhere elsewhere. Costco just have some secret agreement with suppliers to make them even special versions. Although Amazon is still cheaper. In principle, almost all now buy equipment online.

37 Large packaging chocolates and pastries.

38 Corner hungry ulcer. Just like in Auchan, only here the fast food at least tasty. And here's another little detail about Costco: here there is no plastic bags. Bring with them or take such boxes for free. Nothing to spoil nature. I remember once in the Russian hypermarket yell at me when I wanted to take an empty orphan box to put there products.

39 In America, a lot of different shops but hypermarkets. All of them are a handful, as a rule, in such "Plaza", a small one-story shopping centers with large parking and separate entrances. But about them, perhaps next time. If you want to.

Tags

See also

New and interesting