Conan the Barbarian: interesting facts

Year: 1982

Directed by: John Milius

Genre: Fantasy, Action, Adventure

Budget: $ 20 million

Charges in the USA: $ 39,565,475

Charges in the world: + $ 29,286,000 = $ 68,851,475

Initially, the film was planned something like prehistoric Bond - ambitious graduate of the New York School of Art, Summer Edward immediately wrote six scenarios and was sincerely convinced that the studio tear them with your hands.

Preparatory work on the film began in 1977, but because of the many different kinds of delays to the real shooting started no earlier than 1981.

Hollywood did not really understand what to do with the film about Conan - while demand was fantasy productions like "The Lord of the Rings" by Ralph Bakshi, but they were cartoons. A film adaptation of Howard's worlds means more production costs, even the most approximate estimates that go off the mark of $ 10 million. (As a result of the film's budget was $ 20 million), while the average price of a movie at the time was $ 8 million.

For the same reason in the cart after the writings of Sumner went and screenplay by Oliver Stone, presupposed a post-apocalyptic future, brutish army of mutant clones, the conquest of the planet, and other pre-computer era unaffordable luxury. By today's standards manuscript Stone was very good: working on the story, he read every book and every comic book hero, moving into history desyatiseriynoy potential franchise. But at that time, the producers thought otherwise, and in the course of the script went John Milius.

John Milius: When I read the script of Oliver, then finally realized that someone really wants to turn the "Conan" in the film. In fact, I was not in great delight from the Stone script - there was a great concept, the characters and feel the spirit of the universe. But the army of mutants? No, it's just not interesting to me. Then I urgently stopped working on the script for the film "Half the Sky" and sat down to write his own version of "Conan».

Future tape from the beginning positioned massive blockbuster - vacancy director Ridley Scott walked away, shot while the "other", and given the main role had time to draw attention to themselves bodybuilder Arnold Schwarzenegger. Supporting roles distributed between no less colorful bodybuilders - satellites Conan was requested to play a dancer Sandahl Bergman and surfer Gerry Lopez, and to work on the soundtrack producer Dino De Laurentiis began to look fashionable pop group.

Grueling training lasted a year: actors had to get in excellent physical shape, learn to cope with the sword, stick horse and perform stunts.

In the film, Arnold Schwarzenegger performed all stunts himself, as there was no understudy with a similar physique. Because, in the first day of shooting Schwarzenegger tripped and hit his head on the cool stones (in the chase scene with the wolves) - they say that to death did not have quite a bit, and Bergman nearly lost a finger fehtuya with Conan.

Surprisingly, for the filming of "Conan" even Arnold Schwarzenegger took a long time to ensure that its physical form comply with all the requirements of the director, because by the time Schwarzenegger has already left the competition bodibiolding (in 1975) and managed to lose weight. However, in the end it played into his hands. Since filming "Conan" postponed, preparing for the film allowed Arnold quickly enough to dial the desired shape for his unexpected return to bodybuilding and win in the 7th time the title of "Mr. Olympia" in 1980.

John Milius: If my film would star with a bloated ego, I would never have done that in mind. Arnold - a great man. He is very disciplined and close to Conan in real life. Schwarzenegger himself created his character and his career - he worked hard, training every day, constantly repeating his lines - he was just obsessed with them! Sandal - dancer, so it was quite easy to concentrate on training and engage in hours. Jerry was the same endurance and resistance to difficult situations - hardly ordinary actors could also.

But pretezy was not anybody - the crew realized that the picture is simply obliged to be successful. By the time the director was already Millius tapes - Ridley Scott had gone to shoot "Blade Runner" in the midst of training.

Climbing aboard Milius immediately began to dictate their terms: there is no easy fabulous Fleur no primodnennomu pop soundtrack - the music in the film is to be majestic and epic. Directed invited to compose orchestration teacher Basil POLIDOURIS, with varying success to try their hand in the movie. Write them a symphony later become classics, selling countless citations.

On hard and always extremely unyielding John Milius in Hollywood walk various legends. It was said that during the shooting of "Conan" director liked to go in uniform and carrying a firearm. The latter is not surprising because Milius is a member of the Board of Directors of the National Rifle Association of the United States (NRA).

And to the heroes costumes look more natural, film producer Dino De Laurentiis forbade the actors to shoot them in between takes.

However, the most difficult episode on the set, oddly enough, was a love scene between Schwarzenegger and Bergman. Not only that, for each of them it was new, so also present at the site of the crowd constantly shouting something like "Somebody, cover his farm Arnold!", Which is clearly not conducive to emancipation.

John Milius: Much has been difficult to work with me on the court because of my very hard-nosed character. Arnold, by contrast, used the eastern approach to the work: "I - the river, which must be sent. I should flow wherever they tell me. " At the same time - he never lost his individuality, and Arnold remained and only them. No part of me did not Arnold - I just told him what to do and how. He reminds me of Charlton Heston. I've always said Arnold, "Look at Heston - he is incredible." And indeed, if you look at the career of Charles and Arnold, you can find a lot in common.

Produced picture furore instantly brought Schwarzenegger to star and condemned "Conan" to continue. Milius from the outset planned trilogy, but the producers decided to soften the rating to give dues continue to grow - in the end, making a sequel to a banal tale toothless.

John Milius: I think we have all done tastefully. Yes, the film still looks fierce, but that's not the blood. If you want to see her, you see, of course, but it was necessary not to just to shock the audience. Violence must be visible, but not unconscious. All my life I was making violent movies, and do not see anything strange. I have a strict moral code, which I always try to adhere to. In this life there are consequences for every action, and everyone pays a price for what he does.

In the year of its release of "Conan the Barbarian" has received a lot of negative reviews in the press. The filmmakers were accused of excessive brutality on the screen and excessive "blood" of individual scenes. However, viewers were ecstatic, and Schwarzenegger is world-famous. The film won the "Saturn" and 8 nominations. In addition, the actress Sandahl Bergman claimed the "Oscar" for supporting actress.

The film was released on videocassette October 2, 1982. Sales level was quite high; Since its release Conan the Barbarian has appeared on the list of Billboard «Videocassette Top 40" (eng. 40 best films on videocassettes) and held there 23 weeks. Marvel Comics also released on the film by Michael Fleischer scenario.

Soundtrack, written by Basil Poledouris, received 2nd place in the list of the best movie soundtracks 1982 versiiFilms in Review, and in 2005 nominated American Film Institute (AFI) on the listing of AFI's 100 Years of Film Scores . Also, the film was among the nominees in the list of the top 10 American films in the genre of fantasy version AFI in 2008, and the main character was nominated for inclusion in the top 100 heroes and villains on the version of AFI in 2003.

Fencing Master from China in one of the scenes of the film - this is a real Japanese teacher of fencing, to train actors.

The runes on the sword of Conan reads: "Guilt does not torment him who raises the sword in the name of Crom».

Arnold Schwarzenegger was nominated for the award "Golden Raspberry" in 1982 for her role in this film.

According to director John. Milius was used for filming almost exact copy of a museum exhibit mechalandsknehtov weighing 60 pounds (25 kg). Many other items of weapons and equipment in the film were made in natural weight and form, instead of plastic.

Gerry Lopez, who plays Saturdays, in ordinary life was a surfer and a friend the director, who immediately found that the role requires Saturdays "someone like Jerry." When none of the candidates did not accept the director, suggested to try Milius himself Jerry. Much to the surprise of everyone, including producers, full amateur Lopez coped well with their role. In this he was helped by a personal fascination with stories of Conan. Yet he had 6 months to attend acting classes, which led the Mako (who plays Akira).

King Osric was originally supposed to play Max Von Sydow is not, but the planned artist fell ill. Although no one believed that the famous actor to agree to a small role in this "non-serious" movie. Sydow agreed through the persuasion of the eldest son (fan comics Conan), and out of pure curiosity.

Tags

See also

New and interesting