As I left to work in London pros

Throughout my career in a young Baltic republic I have steadily increased the feeling that "we have to blame." The reasons for this deserve a separate chapter, which I omitted. The bottom line is that the understanding of this need has become impossible to ignore - it was necessary to act.

I could choose between East and West - as a citizen of the EU and born in the USSR, I opened both directions, migration problems were limited to paper formalities. Here it must be said that the decision was made about permanent change, return back does not take into account - is greatly simplified many of the decisions in the future.

Fairly quickly it came down to three options - Moscow (Russia was not seen the rest), the largest metropolitan area in Germany - Munich was the most attractive and London. All three had good prospects in terms of career and finance. Germany has disappeared because of ignorance of the German. I had the experience of working abroad and even in the absence of IT knowledge of the local language - a huge minus. Moscow has not approved family. London remained.

Old habit I share all IT programmers and administrators. It has long been much more complicated, but I started in the 90s and then it was possible to divide all the engineers, constantly writing code, and those who write code only when you have something to patch or update. According to this classification, I'm an admin, only servers, mostly Unix and Windows. At the time the move was a systems integrator in a large bank.

Seems introduction is over, now, finally, the very moving.

After selecting the proper point of the move, we had to find work remotely, to plan the move, save money, and much more. So make balanced, intelligent people. This is a very good and correct tactics, but she has a nasty drawback - it does not produce results quickly, and therefore did not combined with my temperament. When it became clear that the search for work from abroad will take months, I dropped it. Bought a netbook, threw it in the portfolio, quit his job, took a few hundred pounds, and credit, which were carefully looked into the eyes of his wife - "I'll be back for you" - and jumped on a plane.

When flying out of the porthole was a blizzard, wings doused nezamerzayki - in a word, winter. However, upon arrival I was greeted by sunny spring. Weather in London and the South East of England is warm and soft, and that surprised me - quite a lot of clear days. During the spring-summer and autumn temperatures range from +10 to +25. About the severe frosts begin to speak at -5. Such is sunny Albion.

Since I am not prepared to move, then look for a job before I had to find shelter - until I lived in Dorma - is a "hotel", which live on 8 - 16 people in a room. Costs 10 pounds a day.

In London, besides the market apartments and houses have a very good market hostels - flatshare. This is when you shoot one room in the house \ apartment, and the amenities and kitchen are shared. Usually attached to this commitment to clean all shared rooms. Needless to say that the main aspect of the hostel - it's neighbors. Very often the owners filtered tenants for social or gender. That is, take, for example, only the working or women only. Animals and smoking in the house, as a rule prohibited. Often the landlord lives in the same house or nearby. I took off my room at the 4th traffic zone (East London) for £ 350 per month + £ 10 worth tolerable internet. Neighbors were - African, Indian and two British women - one of Arab origin. All over 30, all works. Very quiet and nice neighbors. Search took three days, looked just 4 rooms. Searched here: www.intolondon.com

The second objective was to find a job. After moving into his room to show me a paradise after Dorma, I began to send CV and talk to the agents. Two sites on which I was looking for:
- www.jobserve.com/gb/en/Job-Search
- monster.co.uk

It should be noted that a large part of the labor market passes through the agency. Some companies hire themselves, some looking ourselves and through agents, but agencies are an integral part of the labor market, so we have to work with them. Agents do not differ much from the staff of HR, except that they get a commission for the employee and, as a consequence, considering the candidates through the prism of their own benefit. Therefore, at the stage of passing the agent is not so much real skill as glibness responses and formal compliance with all the requirements stated in the proposal. To be clear, I would say that 90% of what is asked (technologies, frameworks, systems, programs, finally) must be indicated in the CV.

CV - the most important part of the process. Unfortunately, I later learned that the agent reads only the first and sometimes only the second page of the resume. It cost me extra weeks of searching, since the first five pages only put photo, name, contacts and half of last place. No chance. Fortunately, it was possible to understand that something is going wrong (there was a small percentage of calls to the number of sent requests) and I took action.

Agents perform an important function, they discuss the "technical details" job - the place, time and money. Yes, about the money here speak at once. Normal business logic - if offered N money, and you want to N + 50%, the topic for further conversation and there is simply no need to spend time with each other. The same applies to the place and time of work. In short, to the client for an interview, you can get only if you are willing to work in this location for this money. I can say that for the engineer "the street" with 7-12 years of experience in the market rate of 40,000 - 60,000 pounds a year. Ceiling - 80 000. From this amount, it is necessary to subtract 32%, something to get the "clean money". If this is the programmers get the same or slightly less than the admins. From techies worst live networkers, best database admins. You can count the money here: www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

After the agent if lucky stage usually start - Telephony and technical interview, a conversation on general topics. Usually a phone interview is still technical, employers try to weed out absolutely no candidates. I counted three types of technical interview - "What are you doing", "how it works" and "questions about tick».

The first - a story on the theme of the past that did, as he did without going into technical details. Option so-so, as lights of knowledge will not work. They simply do not ask. And what did you do last work - a classic of the genre.

"How it works" has always been my favorite version of it when asked how it works or that the protocol or technology. A simple example - how the DNS implementations and examples of their differences.

But questions about tick - when asked on what tab of the console, you can view the attributes of the server. Net lottery hit - no hit.

Technical interview - most importantly, it is determined to get a job or not. Not that it would lay an egg on the general interview impossible - possible, but much harder.

Since I was lousy impose summary, and first language was limping, I had to wait for the rare occasion when the staff is looking for the company itself, through its human resources department. They are much more tolerant to resume. In the end, after 3 interviews and 3 weeks of waiting, they still took me. Total job search stretched for 2 months.

Of course, there are different nuances on the formulation of National Insurance Number and the opening of the account, but after a job is only a technical procedure - quite simple.

Then I searched and even rented an apartment, carrying the family, laid off, open the company and learned to earn good money. But it is already in the next part.

Source: habrahabr.ru/post/230807/

Tags

See also

New and interesting