Sikh warriors and their original armor

New York photographer Mark Hartman spent March and April 2014 in India, working on their projects, including these photos from the series "Portraits Nihang Sikhs." Sikhism was founded in 1469 in Punjab Guru Nanak. Now there are 26 million Sikhs living around the world, making it the fifth largest religion in the world. Nihang Sikhs, also known as the "eternal army" - an army of 10 Sikh gurus, holy storing everlasting traditions.

All Sikhs believe that all people should have the right to profess any religion, to follow any path they choose. Nihang known for their courage, valor and faith in the victory in the battle, even when they are in the minority.

10 photo, via

According to photographer Mark Hartman, lifestyle Sikhs has not changed for over 300 years. They are nomadic, being in spiritual harmony, free from attachment to the world. Hartman was allowed to take pictures of this unique group of Sikhs, when he traveled to North India, in the state of Punjab.

Hartman writes about his work: "My curiosity and interest of philosophy Sikhs fueled my desire to learn more about them, and inspired me to create a photo project. I felt the need to make them modern portraits.

Tags

See also

New and interesting