Guide seafood: shrimp. How do you cheat

Have you ever bought prawns at the store? If yes, then you are almost one hundred percent certainty, from becoming victims of fraud. As well? I will explain.

Author: shrimp and shellfish in the world there are so many. I have to say: I do not know all (as I am not a scientist and businessman). I know only the basic types: those that are present on the market. About them we'll talk.

1. Atlantic or cold-water shrimp.
Comes Loose:

or packaged form:

The shrimp is caught, then cooked in sea water, frozen and glazed. All imported Atlantic shrimp are ready for use and does not require further cooking (quite the contrary: you are cooking will kill the product).

In fact, the brand does not matter: the shrimp is the same everywhere. What is the catch?

Any shrimp "calibrated" at the factory. It expanded in the dimensional series. Atlantic shrimp calibrated as follows: 50/70, 60/80, 70/90, 90/120 and even 120+. The figures indicate the number of pieces per kilogram. Accordingly, the smaller the numbers, the larger the shrimp. And this is where the fun begins.

Initially, the manufacturer calibrates the fresh prawns. Following freezing and glazing (coating the protective layer of ice) the weight of the product increases. Usually there is a quality manufacturer of A (is frozen shrimp, which can withstand the stated size range) and quality B. Shrimp in both cases is the same, but the quality of the "B" screwed this amount of ice, which "enhances" its size range one position. That is actually the shrimp 50/70 as "B" is not how will be sold 50/70 70/90 flooded with water; as 70/90 90/120 will go, and in the lower price segment are pieces of ice lurking inside a lonely shrimp 120+ (which has not even shrimp and krill).

This is pure fraud.

The price of shrimp is highly dependent on the size. For example, the price difference between raw material of 50/70 and 90/120 can exceed three dollars. And it is the price of the plant manufacturer: without transport, customs fees and margins importer and supermarket. Judge for yourself how great a temptation pohimichit with dimensional rows.

Why does the manufacturer? At the request of the importer, of course. The producer actually does not matter how to sell: there are certain commodities worth money and there are ways to reduce the cost of the final product by some fraudulent practices. But cheating is not the manufacturer, importer of cheating is in cahoots with the supermarket (importer always knows what he is buying). A similar scam is stimulated primarily by the consumer: as long as you continue to buy the ice in the stores, you will continue to sell it.

What you should pay attention to?

1. On the amount of ice. In Kiev, there are specialty stores that sell so-called "dry" shrimp. After defrosting the plate virtually no water: it says that you have bought the right product. This shrimp is expensive, but in fact it is the price of the product that you pay anyway (no matter what you buy). Just here you do not cheat.

2. If the package with shrimp snow - then was broken temperature. Do not buy.

3. White spots on the shell - was violated temperature. Do not buy.

There is another argument against the shrimp with lots of ice. Earlier shrimp with excessive gleyzingom imported from manufacturer (ie, up to 50 percent of the ice nakruchivlos at the factory, then the shrimp were packed and sent to the buyer). Now importers imported "dry" shrimp to avoid paying customs fees for ice (fees paid for the declared weight of the product). Then it gleyzing already performed in our country. This extra touch a product with the air temperature and a violation of (again) - a hoax. It is necessary to you? You do not buy this stuff, do the same yourself durite.

2. Shrimp vanamei.

Vans - artificially produced shrimp (in contrast to the Atlantic). Produced as a rule in China.

Available in whole shell (as in the first photo), peeled with tail:

as well as in sushi bars and restaurants as "sushi" -krevetka:

Just vanam often present in the expensive segment sea of ​​cocktails (with scallops, mussels, etc.), and there it is called "royal" or "Panther". I assure you, in any tiger shrimp cocktails, and there can not be any difference in price between the Vanir and the present tiger shrimp is so great that there is no economic sense in this. So here, too, cheating :)

I do not want to escalate over the quality of Chinese (China is doing all sorts of things of varying quality). I'll tell you what I was told the Chinese themselves about Vans: do not get carried away by it. Personally, I did eat at the sushi bar, but do not buy a home: Atlantic healthier, and tastier.

Vans average larger Atlantic shrimp (I mean - the biggest of which lies in our stores) + much brighter in appearance. In supermarkets, these two positions tend to lie side by side and problems with the identification arise.

What to look for? Is that the number of ice because vanam also not glazed at the factory of the manufacturer, importer and factory.

3. "Tiger" shrimp.
This shrimp belongs to the upper price segment, so it almost did not cheat. Not wind the excess water, with dimensional rows himichat not, and it comes, usually packed here in these boxes:

Like the Chinese, this is shrimp farming (ie artificially divorced). On the dimension of the rows is as follows: 13/15, 16/20, 21/25 pieces per kilogram respectively. The difference in price between 13/15 and 21/25 can be up to five dollars, so for us to carry the small one.

On what to pay attention to here? I do not know, because almost never encountered by the product. As Chinese shrimp "tiger" I do not like (unless you fry them with soy sauce and garlic). Personally, I use them to decorate the paella. And for anything more :)

Separately are so-called peeled shrimps, or

4. Peeled shrimp.

Weights (as in the first photo) I have them never saw us, they are sold in vacuum-packed. After defrost them to remain, at best, 70 percent of the declared weight, but nothing can be done: where to take alternative, I just do not know.

There are two types of treated (or "cocktail") shrimp: Atlantic and Chinese :)

Need Atlantic. The restaurants (with a probability of 99 per cent) is used due to cheap Chinese. Nuance is that Chinese peeled shrimp can not tolerate the heat treatment, so use them only for salads.

If you buy the peeled shrimp for yourself, look primarily at the country of origin. Estonia, Denmark, Norway, Iceland (and the whole region) - what you need. China - you get the idea :)

In conclusion - a private opinion. The real delicacies I personally believe only Atlantic shrimp. In expensive restaurants we are treated to "royal" shrimp at exorbitant prices, creating the illusion of "elite", but they really taste good :). The structure of the meat is very different from the Atlantic. And not in favor of the "royal" shrimp.

However, no accounting for tastes.

Source: ibigdan.livejournal.com

Tags

See also

New and interesting