The oldest of the oldest

Scientists argue that due to the development of modern medicine the number of people older than 100 years to double by 2020. So what is to be a hundred years? Photos by Chris Steele-Perkins.
13 ph here

1. Rena Ward, 100 years.

Once, when I was young, I went to a fortune teller, and she said that I live to be a hundred. I do not make predictions about the number of years that I have left to live. And I was so lucky to live to a hundred. But I do not think about old age! My dream is to dance. I loved the old-fashioned dances. I started when I was eight, and danced five times a week right up to the age of ninety. Now I move my hands and feet, imagining how I dance. Dancing - my passion.

2. Tessa Grimes, 100 years

I got the card from the Queen and from, what's his name? Ian Duncan Smith (leader of the Conservative Party of Great Britain). I do not know who it is.
I am lonely, because I can not go out often. Cleaning takes up all my time, but still need to prepare a meal. I like reading. Not often watch TV, mostly news.

3. Alice Leake, 103 years.

I come from a pretty big family: we were seven - mom, dad and five children. I was the youngest. Sometimes, I feel very old (laughs). And sometimes it seems to me that it is capable of anything. You know that feeling, right? Very pleasant.

My fingers are already completely immobilized. I can not buttoned. Once I sewed a lot. I could sew dresses, and now I can not even hold a needle!

4. Sister Margaret Grimsdeyl 100 years

Oh ya! I received a postcard from the Queen. I love the Queen! She never make mistakes. Well, it seems to me that a couple of weeks I will die, because I have 100 ... Life for me - a very difficult thing. I am in constant gloom. I'm not so sotsialnoaktivnaya as it was before. There is only one thing I really want to. To Die. I want to die now and be with God. And what is still left to live?

5. Nora Hardwick, 105 years

I think it's all about the genes. My mother lived 94 to 96 sister and grandmother died when she was 97. I always occupy my brain. I read a lot, and crossword puzzles. And I drink a little whiskey before going to bed. Perhaps this helps.

If it were not for my daughter, I would have needed someone every day, and Maureen washed me today, and Jen washed my head. They keep me clean, that's what I need. I learned to ride on a small scooter to be more in the open air. I do not like to sit at home all day. I appreciate each new day. Every day for me - it's a gift.

6. Alice Herz-Sommer, 108 years

I survived the concentration camp and it's something unusual. Thousands, millions of people have died, and now you're sitting here. When you get older, you start to appreciate the beauty of life. And young people take everything for granted.
I keep forgetting. Even if I record something, I forget to look there. I had an excellent memory, and now I turned into an idiot! (Laughs). But what can I do against this? I learned by heart several works of Bach and play the piano. My son died at 64. He was a gifted musician and a wonderful son. My only child.

7. Ralph, 107 years and Phyllis Tarrant *

Ralph (showing family album) This is my family crest. Believe it - no, but Tarrant was in the Domesday Book ... That's my whole life! Born July 7, 1903 ... This is my mom ... My dad ... And here's the place where I was born ... It's me, me here 13 years ... But I'm working in a steel mill ... And here again the Phillies look ... Oh, and now there are good the photos. This Llandino we honeymooned there ... This is our wedding ... But the Olympic Games in Germany, the then Hitler grumbled because Jesse Owens wins ... And here I was called into the service. It seems 43rd year ... And here you can see how grown up kids ... I have not often seen. Often missed them.

Phyllis says. This is still nothing. My feelings are still with me, but some poor guy in this age nothing can. I can perform some acrobatic trick? (Laughs).

* Phyllis was born in 1908. She died shortly after our meeting.

8. Helen Turner, 101 years

I'm going to live to 120! And when I was 100, I have a party with champagne. I honestly do not remember a lot, because I had a lot to drink.

Once I was engaged, but never once met ... Although I knew what she wanted and found the very man, but it was too late. He was a university lecturer. And of course married. I can not imagine that he has gone out of the way, he is not a man. I'm not saying that I would not like it. Do not get me wrong, I do not think that I was so good!

9. Emily Tyrell, 100 years

My husband and I had a very happy marriage, but unfortunately we did not have children. We especially and did not try to make them, they simply did not appear, that's all. These things do not just happen.

I'm pretty happy to be here and that look after me here. Here is a good view from the window. Over there there is a large tree. Often I sit here and watch the wind and the weather. Sometimes it makes me wonder how many more I live, but you know. What will be, that is inevitable

10. Doris Manning, 103 years

I was an artist, but ceased to draw, when my husband was ill. I had to look after him, and drawing is not enough time. Sometimes I even had to look for him, and he turns out to be just sitting and staring. This was the beginning of his Alzheimer's disease.

I had a very happy family life, it is very nice to see great-great-grandchildren and. But I miss the long walks in the hills. When my husband saw the mountain, he necessarily had to climb on it. And he pushed me forward!

11. Anne Meston, 107 years.

That's my father's ships! (Pointing to the picture). I had 3 brothers and 5 sisters. We all come from Briksgeyma. And now survived only I.

Rose Billing, 101 years

I was born in the countryside, and the way to school takes two hours. I went to school in two and worked on the farm. All my life I went to a Methodist church and played the organ 75 years until it closed the chapel.

13. Nellie Wright, 103 years

I can not make ends meet, I do not live and exist. I hope that the end will come soon. I'm so tired. Why all this? I can not find in his bag a penny! But I worked in '74.

Why am I here? Waiting for God to fix it. My husband died while I was here. I have not even got to his funeral. It does not matter. I was a decent girl, never drank, and did not go to the side. I just lived and worked like a fool.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting