Internet and North Korea

Blogger Marina Litvinovich wrote in his diary:

Last week, the FSB issued a remarkable initiative on the closure of Russian users access to Skype and mail service Gmail and Hotmail. Immediately, of course, there was talk that "we will have internet in North Korea." Because the Internet is very little information about how actually things with the internet in the UK, I decided to tell you about it.

14 photos

So. During my trip to North Korea last fall, I was able to see and take pictures of how the Internet works, what happens when you try to go to Google, looks like a private north-Korean operating system, as well as learn how Antivirus enjoy in the North Korean computers. So, first things first.

The first time I discovered the Internet was at the center of production control at the factory producing tiles of different sizes and applications. The plant, by the way, working in particular on a contract with Russia, and supplies products for the APEC summit, which will take place on the island of Russian in Vladivostok in 2012.

On one of the computers located in the control center when you try to move my arm, immediately jumped Warning Kaspersky Anti-Virus:

Interestingly, the North Korean plant officially bought the antivirus? Can Kaspersky Lab and answer

2. The other laptop was discovered the site of the plant, located on the Internet. Here he is. Good overall saytik:

3. Website hangs on the computer:

4. The second time I got the internet in the electronic library of the University of them. Kim Il Sung.

5. At the university there is a high electron and a media library. Here is its catalog:

6. This is one of the inside page by catalog, where I went:

7. Here is her address closer, it is not available from Russia

8. eBooks look like this. Very handy, so as not torn or ripped pages)

9. Not satisfied with the electronic library, I decided to check out all the same access to foreign websites and typed in the address bar www.google.com Here what result I received:

10. Unfortunately, I do not know the Korean language, so I hope my friends here on respected. I think that what is written here something like "You do not have the right to access this page" (but wait for the translation) (Friend atsman reports that translates to: "Download google.com impossible. An unknown host name")

Indeed, access to the international segment of the Internet in North Korea closed. Therefore, correct, of course, not talking about the Internet in the UK, and about the intranet, it is about the internal network. This internal network is called the network "Kvanmen." As far as I was able to learn, access to the "full" Internet only have special staff and workers of the main ideological department of North Korea.

At the University, I filmed, and classes are held (brazenly opened the door of the audience):

Students, as I understand it, learn programming - for the only understandable word here - mysql:

12. Again, I hope someone will translate.

Then I was fascinated by the study of the North Korean operating system. It is called "Red Star" and it looks like that when booting:

The basis of the system - open source Linux operating system, it is set for 15 minutes. However, the "Red Star" and bears clear traces of the influence of Microsoft: for it created a special version with Microsoft Office. The system has games, e-mail (called the "dovish") and an Internet browser, which is considered a copy of the popular Mozilla Firefox.

14. All loaded:

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting