Base Patriot Hills

Fasting is not mine, so please respect the author and do not break podborochku. I am sure that someone will be interested.

20 photos will be.

Let's go (1 photo):
I guess it's still a crazy place from where all had to go. With the most insane people. There's really cool as hell.

Live in such conditions - very fun.

Placed around the base of bamboo landmarks with flags. This in order not to roam where not necessary. Not even because of the cracks in the ice, which I did not find (well, just to such AAAA). Just like you can get under the tractor. Yes, and to navigate in bad weather they are very helpful.

a small airplane that crosses the climbers from the base to the foot of Mount Vinson, the highest point of Antarctica. And then, a couple of weeks, takes them out back. Some, however, do not wait or do not have time, and there are 200 km peshochkom skiing.

Brave Canadian pilots and mechanics, in their spare time fly - or repairing aircraft, or fermented beer crates. In both these states, they can shout «I hate canadians!».

When the weather was more or less anything, I wanted to pull off unbearably somewhere to drive an ice pick and five kilometers from the base to the very Patriot Hills. The array is certainly not great, just something about 1900 meters high, but deny myself the pleasure of the little mountain climbing in Antarctica - it was beyond my strength. As a result, an attempt to escape odichnogo resulted in a whole group expedition, which besides us not only went a couple of our girls, skiers, but also Vietnamese lone skier, an American climber only selected with Vinson and Rob Jarvis as the leader and guide, here He stands in the center in yellow pants. Rob cool English guy, he was, among other things been to Nanda Devi and I think that even we had somewhere to cross over into the Himalayas

And this is actually the view from the foot of the array. Ice, ice, to the horizon. Base can not even see, but somewhere it's there.

Not far from our base is deserted Chilean base (also known as "the fuss"). Abandoned it qualitatively, about 5-6 years ago and during this time it has brought almost completely. Several times we went there just for a walk, found in her entrance, and then when we ran out of cigarettes, and all aircraft not flown and flew - I had to go look for a cigarette. Not found. But found a couple of ice axes and went underground for another pair of adjacent vertices.

Chileans have been a peculiar sense of humor and we waited inside the base hanging from the ceiling of the loop. Soap we have found, as well as cigarettes. I had to leave on the board (which is visible on the left) message for posterity, which can also result in cigarettes and which can also come here to look for them.

Those who are in the mountains and abandoned Chilean bases did not want to spend time on the basis of trying to get a tan. Sun all the time over his head. Clouds nobody will be embarrassed.

If you think that in Antarctica eat all sublimated stuff, you're wrong. We literally feasted and fatten. Periodically even pastry case every orgy.

Such is the cake in the form of New Zealand (two islands with sheep) built a birthday electrician base.

People working there - it's another story. These are real ... or something ... Here's the bearded uncle I now forever associated with it is the South Pole. Because when we got there - it was the first "local". He staggered into the plane all such covered with ice and snow from head to toe, with a beard all in icicles and even in fur cap. With a raised one ear.

Imenninik himself. In addition to the main electrics - he has saved us cigarettes, when we ran out and taught include gasoline generator in the cold.

Felicity from England and Kylie from New Zealand. Kylie got into this expedition almost at the last moment, when the sick one of the participants (from Ghana, I think). Says that literally just got off of a mountain at it in the NT, as I had to take skiing and fly to Antarctica.

Home soon and we turn off equipment - cursed and hated by Iridium, which we just created a furore and received an invitation to work in the following seasons - install and configure Internet-based for all. So when I finally get tired of all - I can dump there and ride across Antarctica from base to base to earn tuner internets.

Waiting for the plane to the mainland. Victor Boboc, the Russian guide "7 Summits". These same 7 summits he personally passed twice already, including the north face of Everest. At Patriot Hills he came up with Vinson, had covered those 200 km on skis, along with a couple of clients.

Despite the fact that it was based on a very cool - all waiting for the plane. And finally he made his way he had come.

Well, almost all. Last minutes in Antarctica before flying to Chile. And one of the last flights to the base as a whole. Its going to close and relocate to a new - Union Glacier, 60 kilometers from here. There direction of the runway safer and it will be less dependent on weather conditions. And at Patriot Hills often wind blowing directly from the mountain side in the aircraft.

20, all!
That's about such a life.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting