The Indian Hills Dzhaintiya District, located in the northeast of the state of Meghalaya are thousands of young workers, some of whom no eight. Wanting to start as early as possible to earn money to support their semi, they drop out of school to work in the mines in very dangerous circumstances. Officially, child labor is banned in India, and allegedly met safety standards in mines, but loopholes in the law allow to bypass many restrictions.
Young miners go down the stairs from woven branches dug into the coal mines, to squeeze into the "rat hole", so small that they can not be even walk on their knees. Lying flat, they are working with primitive tools and their bare hands: human labor is much cheaper machine.
28 Photo © Daniel Berehulak / Getty Images
1. The boy in the coal warehouse near Ladrimbay Dzhaintia Hills in the district in the north-eastern part of India.
2. The 38-year-old Prabhat Sinha with a cargo of coal down the stairs near the village Khlieriat.
3. A crane lifts miners out of the mine 90 meters depth.
4. Many children drop out of school to support his family financially by working in coal mines.
5. The 22-year-old Shyam Rai from Nepal to "rat hole" in the tunnel in the mine.
6. A boy with a cargo of coal in a coal bin.
7. Work on the bridge to carry coal trucks.
8. The 14-year-old Chhai Lingdoh earns about $ 5 a day for what gets coal from the 267-pound hopper.
9. A 12-year-old Abdul Qayyum coal to be crushed.
10 miners in the tunnel
11. 20-year-old Anil Basnet with fellow pushing a cart loaded with coal from the tunnel.
13. A crane lifts miners out of the mine for lunch.
14. The eight-year-old boy named Fayt rake coal in stock. Local schools, providing free education, it is hard to convince parents to keep children in school, as they are looking for additional sources of income.
15. 38-year-old Prabhat Sinha unloads coal, which is taken out of the mines. In mines using manual labor and primitive equipment
16. Workers loaded coal trucks.
17. Work is preparing to pour coal crusher.
18. Miner gets tools after working in the mine at a depth of 90 metrvooy.
19. The miners wash their hands, getting ready for dinner.
20. Shakhtar shouts crane operator, so he picked them up.
21. Children walk past a coal warehouse on the way home from school
22. The workers go home after a shift.
23. screwy young miners roam on uglehranilischu.
24. 13-year-old Kala Rai on English grammar lesson in the church school. She worked in the mines for six months, but then was able to go back to school.
25. Trucks loaded with coal in the city Ladrimbai.
26. Trucks with coal and other cars in the city after traffic jams because of the accident.
27. The Boy in the store next to unload the coal workers.
28. Workers on the market during a game of dice.