Gypsy-cab or illegal taxis in New York

Of course, I had heard that in New York there are illegal taxis, but that they are engaged in transportation across the region and a substitute for urban transport - this for me was a real discovery. It seemed to me that these things can now be found in Russia, but not in America. Well, we have the type of corruption and chaos, and then the rule of law and order. But the reality was quite different. I am once again convinced that if it seems to me that in New York, something not, it just means that I'm bad it was looking for.

22 photo + vidos via samsebeskazal

A small introduction about the taxi. Official New York are two types: yellow taxi and car services. Of those about other I will tell you more, but to understand, in fact the differences between them are: yellow have a special paint, work in Manhattan from downtown to 125th Street (then go very reluctantly), pick up passengers voting in the street fare calculated by the meter. Car services do not have a special paint work around the city, pick up passengers on the street outside the yellow zone (where they are working yellow is forbidden to do), and come to the call, they do not have meters, and the cost is known prior to the trip. And yellow taxis and car services operate according to certain rules, which monitors the performance of kommisiya City Taxi and Limousine. It also gives them a license. There are nuances, but this is a normal civilized business.

In the black and Latin American regions (ie poorest) Car service has to adapt to the local conjuncture and work minibuses, collecting several passengers traveling in the same direction and taking with them a fixed fee. As services is usually ordinary cars, so take turns maximum 4 persons. It's not very civilized and not entirely legal. They can not take the other passengers without your permission. But since they have a license, and passengers are satisfied with a fixed rate and, therefore, do not mind, like their activities to the authorities turn a blind eye.

1. Car service is easy to determine the number. They do not divide, increasing the number of characters, which have private cars, the number begins with the letter T, and at the bottom is written T & LC, which means Taxi & Limousine Commission.

In the black areas and Chinatown are so-called "dollar-vans." This is pure water taxi, which runs on a certain route and has a fixed price fare - $ 2. Unlike working as a bus-car services, it is not sedans, and large multi-seat minibuses. Some of them have a license for passenger transport, and some work illegally. Even those who can not have a license to operate as a taxi, i.e. pick up passengers on the street. In fact, it is already illegal business.

2. Licensed dollar-van. He's serial number BUS, which means that it can engage in commercial activities for passengers, but can not take the voting on the street.

3. And it is an illegal dollar-van. He's the most common number. They usually operate on a single owner, which serves a specific route.

4. Another private owner. These tinted glass to attract less attention from the police. Local somehow distinguish them from the stream and inhibit just the dollar-vans and minibuses are not all in a row.

5. In addition to the illegal passenger transport are still engaged in the sale of advertisements on their boards (also forbidden) and even the cultural programs. This is New York, so there illegal taxi can become a platform for the promotion of new young artist. Here's an example.

Sorry for bayanny vidos ... just to fit psto

The most wild are "Gypsy cabs» (gypsy - Roma) - these are ordinary private traders, who went out to pobombit. The most notorious work in the New York airports, and the remaining feed in the black areas, working by type or minibuses carrying regular customers. But if you catch this and ask them to take you to the other end of town, he did not refuse. I met them in Brooklyn's East Flatbush, but met in such an amount that was a light shock. It seemed to me that they must somehow hide their activities, and they were endless stream no embarrassment and without fear.

6. Machinery go one by one. Of the five taxis on the photo is only one legal.

7. As in Russia, New York illegal fish is used most hairy and killed by a car.

8. There are no Zhiguli, so in the course are old Fords and Lincolns.

9. Another surprising fact for me was the fact that the bomb did not only locals. For example, a private trader from New York takes the passenger at the bus stop.

10. And this is from Florida. He also has a radio.

11. Pennsylvania.

12. Another Pennsylvania.

13. It seems to Louisiana.

14. Bombs Texas. This is the other end of the country!

15. Virginia.

16. And again, New York. You can stand and study the geography of the United States.

17. Illegal taxi so much that at some point I began to feel that bombed everything. It had only to someone to raise their hand, as immediately stopped passing cars.

18. Gypsy cabs are not lagging behind the dollar-vans and also manage to sell advertising space on their machines.

19. photographed their drivers, of course, do not like.

20. Estimate the number of Gypsy cabs on the streets can be in this video.

21. Recording process led me to get acquainted with one opaque type (pictured right). He has long stood at the crossroads and looked around, and then at some point suddenly came up to me and immediately asked who I work for. I said that over and collect material for your blog. He said that for the blog, I write about what I did and where, after settled down and became very friendly to talk about that here they say the problem with transport, and people have to go. Buses and small fish is doing a good job. He told me that all of them work illegally, but no one was fine. I asked him, and he it is who is that in the course of all the details. He replied that a curious passer-by walked past and type. Only now he was walking past the whole hour that I spent there, and all the while turning his head in my direction.

22. On the bus I was there some special problems have not noticed. There are exactly the same as in the rest of the city. Naturally, to take a taxi is faster than the bus and the passengers sit in the car for illegal immigrants.

I think that this situation is very indicative and shows how everything depends on the willingness of the authorities. In the area a lot of police, and the penalty for illegal activity up to 1 500 and 3 months in prison. That is the necessary laws and severe penalties are who follow them too, but somehow in other parts of the illegal taxis do not occur, and in the East Flatbush are calm and ride around in large numbers through the city streets.

Or maybe it is a struggle against crime. East Flatbush one of the most criminogenic areas of the city and a large number of taxis allowed one job, and the opportunity to safely get home or to other metro. During the day there is perfectly safe, but at night for a walk is not so cozy. Taxis also are working virtually around the clock.
___
All

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting