7 things that shocked Napoleon in Russia.

August 15, 1769 on the island of Corsica, Napoleon Bonaparte was born. In 1812, the French emperor, a successful commander, was a fiasco in the campaign against Russia. On the day of the birth of Napoleon remember 7 things that shocked him in Russia.

1.Taktika Russian army

Tactics of the Russian army and Napoleon was struck in the literal and figurative sense. Russian army under the leadership of General Barclay de Tolly was kept constant retreat tactics. The troops went from Vitebsk, Smolensk, Moscow. Before castling Tolly and Kutuzov French given only two battles. By the retreat of Russian troops Napoleon treated ambiguously. At the beginning of the campaign it is the behavior of the enemy was at hand the French emperor, he wanted to get to Smolensk with small losses. Smolensk, the French are not captured, and got a completely unpresentable form. Stop in the town proved pointless to move on was terrible. Army, hoping for a blitzkrieg move further, deep into the vast country. The soldiers entered the empty city, they had finished the last reserves and panic. Bonaparte sat in St. Helena, recalled: "My shelves, amazed that after so many difficult transitions and murderous fruits of their efforts on them constantly removed, began anxiously look to the distance separating them from France."

2.Tolstye wall

The story of the impenetrable walls of Smolensk Napoleon takes a whole page. From the description of the beautiful view of the city, Napoleon refers to senseless attempts to capture him, "I have used all the artillery reserve for breaking holes in the curtain, but in vain - our core stuck in extremely thick walls, there is no activity. The only way it was possible to make a break: direct all our fire against the two round towers, but the difference in the thickness of the walls was unknown to us ».

3.Pozhary

If it were not published memories of Bonaparte, one would think that it was the French brought to the Russian ground fire. The motion was accompanied by Napoleon's troops fire - burning cities and roads. In Smolensk, Gzhatsk, Small Yaroslavets extinguished fires the French themselves. Russian burned everything - homes, shops, streets, crops. In the middle of Moscow, Napoleon wondered - why is it burning? And then sad but beautifully she wrote: "Moscow has become a sea of ​​fire. The view from the balcony of the Kremlin would be worthy of Nero, burned Rome, and as for me, I never was like this monster, and at the sight of this terrible picture of my heart bled ».

4.Goroda

The Art of Russian architects fascinated by Napoleon, in his memoirs, he described Smolensk tower, apart from the battering failures. Moscow and at all struck the French emperor "built like Rome, on seven hills, Moscow is a very picturesque view. We must see the big picture, which represents the city, semi-European, poluvostochny, with its two hundred churches and thousands of colorful chapters, towering over them, to understand the feelings that we experienced when the dominant Poklonnaya Mountain seen in front of Moscow ».

5.Dorogi

Napoleon took many Russian roads, and none of it was not satisfied. The reason is not the weather, it had the emperor separate opinion. In his memoirs, Napoleon called Russian roads only passable: "The lack of information on the state of roads, incomplete and unreliable card edge, were the reason that I did not dare to put the body in different directions, because nothing proves the existence udoboprohodimyh roads».

6.Pogoda

Napoleon invaded Russia in the early summer, and get out of it is closer to spring. Emperor of France had to lay down their opinion about the weather in Russia, for example, the fall was "a lovely, unusual in these harsh lands." With severe cold Napoleon had to face in the most unfavorable point on the way home: "Since November 7, the cold increased with alarming rapidity developed a degree of disorder of the army, which began already at Vyazma».

7.Partizany

It's nice to know that most of Napoleon shocked and delighted the behavior of the Russian people. On the people's war, Napoleon said: "The most formidable army can not successfully wage war against an entire people, who decided to conquer or die. We had to deal not with the people of Lithuania, indifferent spectators of the great events that take place around them. The entire population, made up of Russian natural, at our approach to leave their homes. On our way, we found only abandoned or burnt villages. Fleeing residents formed a gang that operated against our foragers. They never bother own troops, but seized all marauders and backward ».

Author: Natalia Savenkov

SOURCE

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting