Paralyzed surgeon went back to work

Dr. Ted Rummel (Ted Rummel) from Missouri, USA, is paralyzed from the waist down. However, the disability did not prevent him from returning to work and operate patients in a wheelchair, which is contained in a vertical position.
12 photos via wwmed.org

In 2010, a surgeon who spent about 1000 successful surgeries a year and took about 60 patients a day, paralyzed from the waist down as a result of rupture of the spinal cord cavernoma

"One of my first thoughts after the operation:" All right, goodbye, habitual way of life "," - says Rummel. However, the doctor did not give in to self-pity and set a goal: to return to active work.

A year later, after an intensive course of rehabilitation orthopedic surgeon was able to return to the operating room. The doctor operated patients in a wheelchair, which is in the vertical position using the standing frame in the event that it is necessary to carry out the operation on his shoulders.

According to Rummel, it looks like the doctor has undergone fundamental changes after he visited the "skin" of the patient. "Now I treat patients very differently," - says Rummel. - "Having gone through something like this, you begin to listen to them and show more empathy."

Of course, some patients are a doctor in a wheelchair skeptical. He estimates that such persons recruited about 10 percent of the total number of patients. But the majority still understand that Rummel could serve as an example of fortitude in the first place for them.

True, at first, Rummel had to give up their favorite treatments - surgery on the shoulder joint, for this you need to be a surgeon. However, over time he was able to solve this problem - a specially designed chair with a focus knee supports fasten your seat belts at the waist body of a doctor in a vertical position.

"I'm kind of opened my eyes again and met his family. I am grateful to my family and friends for support. Without them I probably would not have coped with their problems. My family helped me to start all over again ", - he said.

After the regular intensive training, Ted finally decided to call in operating in a wheelchair, holding his body upright.

Now he can perform almost all the usual operations and said that, despite a disability feels really free.

"Very quickly it became clear that his skills are preserved, so Ted was able to return to work. He operates patients with pathologies of the knee, elbow, foot and ankle, "- said the surgeon colleague Anne Abad (Ann Abad).
Rummel admits the likelihood that it may come to expect hard times, but prefers to focus on the positive changes.

"When it happened, I had everything: education, work experience, a loving family and colleagues to support me. I know that many people fall into a situation with nothing and are left alone with their troubles. Therefore, I will think about how to help them. One day I will succeed ", - concludes Ted.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting