Monica Merv. City children

Photographer Monika Merv - the first generation of descendants of American Hungarians. Speaks Hungarian and have a family in Hungary - were two important conditions for the realization of the project "City of Children". Merv tells us the bitter story of children who grew up together, but were separated from their own families. City children in Fot - a product of the Hungarian social system of the 50s, when it was mainly a collective decision of personal problems. When the family is broke - because of quarrels, violence, neglect, etc. The city took away children daughters and sons. Parents and relatives could visit them, but the children have lived here all together, under adult supervision.

Once it warned that go inside would be almost impossible, Merv entered the city children through a family friend. It took a year to ensure that she was allowed to take pictures there. She was told that will take pictures, just to see whether it will be the children. Merv jumped at the chance, flying thousands of kilometers from New York City to find out whether it will pass the test. Upon arrival it was assigned to the rude girl who, however, quickly softened and then introduced her to other children. Rangers Merwe allowed to stay for four days, during which she photographed the day and night. The following year, she returned with the portraits of children and do it every time until 2009 (except in 2006, when her own child was born). Each way back she bought copies of photographs of children who she also did. Book Monica Merv "City of Children" was first published in the US this spring.

1. Eva P. 2004. "Eve - one of four brothers and sisters. When we first met Eve, I was intrigued by her beauty and extraordinary personality. It was not a typical teenage girl. She plays hard, run and climb trees and has always been a little bit dirty. But she always spoke softly, with exquisite manners, uncharacteristic for her age. " (Monika Merva)

2. In the forest, 2002. (Monika Merva)

3. Norby J., And Scylla, 2007. "This picture was taken in my last day. All swirled around the girl in a hospital gown. One of the guys, Norby, ran past me to say hello to her. I was so focused on their reunion, that I did not have time for questions. Later I learned that Norby struck her hand, and after an argument, she tried to commit suicide. " (Monika Merva)

4. Josie 2004. "Josie - Roma. He tempted street life, aggressive, charismatic and can enter into your heart. City children Rangers thought they tamed it. A few months after this photo was made, Josie ran away. And since then I have not been seen. " (Monika Merva)

5. Marianne, 2005. "Marianne - the eldest of five children. When her mother an ultimatum - to stay with children or with a new boyfriend, she chose the latter. " (Monika Merva)

6. Children's suspension in 2007. (Monika Merva)

7. Peter in blue socks 2005. "Peter - the youngest in the family. They moved to the city children in 2004. He and his five brothers and sisters see their father once a year - at Christmas. When I walked into the kitchen to talk to him, he was sitting on the battery, lost in their own thoughts. (Monika Merva)

Tags

See also

New and interesting