7 Russian monarchs, who were killed (13 photos)

December 4, 1586 Queen of Scots Mary Stuart was sentenced to death for taking part in the plot. Russian monarchs also killed, only domestic "anointed of God" died, as a rule, not under the guillotine, and become victims of popular anger and palace intrigues.

Ipatiev house after the regicide. Picture Paul Rizhenko reign of Fyodor Godunov lasted only seven weeks

April 24, 1605, the very next day after the death of Tsar Boris Godunov, Moscow declared to the reign of his 16-year-old son of Theodore - fully prepared for the throne, talented and educated young man. But time was something vague - moved to Moscow False Dmitry I, who wove intrigue to seize the throne and was able to win over the prince Mstislav, and many of those who have recently supported Godunov. The ambassadors, who arrived in Moscow on behalf of the impostor on Calvary read a letter in which Godunov False Dmitry I called usurpers, self - Prince Dmitry Ivanovich, who allegedly managed to escape, promised all sorts of grace and the benefits and called to swear himself. Riots began, the crowd shouting "Down with Godunov!" Rushed to the Kremlin.

Portrait of Fyodor Godunov and painting by Konstantin Makovsky "The murder of the son of Boris Godunov»

With the connivance of the government boyars Fedor Godunov, his mother and sister Xenia have been detained, and ascended to the Russian throne False Dmitry I. June 20, 1605 Fedor Borisovich Godunov II and his mother was strangled. Such was the order of the new king. People had announced that they have taken the poison.

The first Russian Tsar the impostor was killed at his own wedding

False Dmitry I believe historians adventurer, who pretended to be Tsarevich Dmitry - escaped the son of Tsar Ivan IV the Terrible. He became the first imposter who managed to occupy the throne. Lzhedmitry at nothing stayed in the quest to become king: the people handing out promises and even staged his "confession" Maria Nagaya, the mother of Tsarevich Dmitry.

But it was not long reign of the False Dmitry I, and the Moscow boyars were very surprised that the Russian tsar does not comply with Russian customs and traditions, and mimics the Polish monarchs: the Boyar Duma renamed the Senate, made a number of changes to the palace ceremony and emptied the coffers of entertainment costs the content of the Polish guards and we launched to the Polish king.

In Moscow, there was a dual situation - on the one hand of the king liked, but on the other they were very dissatisfied. At the head of the discontented were Vasily Golitsyn, SHUISKI Mikhail Tatishchev, Prince Kurakin and Kolomna and Metropolitan of Kazan. Kill the king's archers were the killer of Tsar Fyodor Godunov Sherefedinov. But the attempt, scheduled for January 8, 1606, failed, and its performers a mob.

A more favorable situation for the assassination there was a spring, when False Dmitry I announced his wedding with polka Marina Mniszek. May 8, 1606 the wedding and Mnishek crowned the queen. Promenade dragged on for several days, and arrived at the wedding Poles (about 2 thousand. People) in a drunken stupor robbed passers-by, broke into the house of Muscovites, raped women. False Dmitry I at the wedding moved away from the business. This took advantage of the conspirators.

False Dmitry I and Maria Mnishek. Prints F.Snyadetskogo portraits. Beginning of the XVII century.

May 14, 1606 SHUISKI with colleagues decided to act. In the Kremlin, they changed their guards opened the prison and given weapons to all comers. May 17, 1606 armed mob drove to Red Square. False Dmitry was trying to escape and jumped from the window of the chambers directly on the pavement, where he was captured archers and hacked to death. The body was dragged to the Red Square, tore off his clothes in the mouth the king-pretender stuck pipe and put a mask on his chest. Muscovites 2 days mocked the body, then buried his Serpukhovsko gates of the old cemetery. But this was not the end. There were rumors that over the grave "works wonders." The body is dug up, burned, ashes mixed with gunpowder and shot them from a gun in the direction of Poland.

Ivan VI Antonovich - the emperor, who did not see the subjects

Ivan VI Antonovich - the son of Anna Leopoldovna, niece childless Russian Empress Anna Ivanovna, and Herzog Anton Ulrich of Brunswick, the great-grandson of Ivan V. He was proclaimed Emperor in 1740, two months old, and was declared regent Duke of Courland E.I.Biron. But a year later - December 6, 1741 - there was a coup d'etat, and ascended to the throne of Peter I's daughter Elizabeth.

Underage Emperor Ivan VI

Please send Elizabeth thought "Brunswick family" abroad, but was afraid that they might be dangerous. The overthrow of the emperor with his mother and father moved to Dinamiunde, a suburb of Riga, then to the north - to Kholmogory. The boy lived in the same house with their parents, but in complete isolation from them for a blank wall under the supervision of Major General Miller. In 1756 he was transferred to "own" Shlisselburg Fortress, which was called "the famous prisoner" and was kept in complete isolation from the people. He could not even see the guards. Do not improved the situation of the prisoner under Peter III, under Catherine II.

Schlisselburg fortress - a place where kept Ivan VI

During his imprisonment were several attempts to release the deposed emperor, the latter of which turned to his death. July 16, 1764 VJ officer Mirovich who carried the guard in Shlisselburg Fortress, was able to win over the part of the garrison. It calls for the release of Ivan and overthrow of Catherine II. But the rebels while trying to free a prisoner stabbed Ivan VI were present with him bezotluchno two watchmen. It is believed that buried Ivan Antonovich in Shlisselburg Fortress, but in fact he was the only Russian Emperor, whose place of burial is not known exactly.

Peter III - the emperor, his wife deposed

Peter III Fedorovich - German Prince Karl Peter Ulrich, the son of Anna Petrovna and Karl Friedrich, Duke of Holstein-Gottorp, the grandson of Peter I - ascended to the throne in 1761. Do not crowned, the rules just 187 days, but managed to make peace with Prussia, reversing the results of these victories of Russian troops in the Seven Years' War.

Peter and Catherine: a joint portrait of G.K.Groota

Peter indiscriminate actions on the political scene deprived of his support for the Russian society, and many of its policies perceived as a betrayal of Russian national interests. As a result of June 28, 1762 there was a coup and proclaimed the Empress Catherine II. Peter III was sent to Ropsha (30 versts from St. Petersburg), where the overthrow of Emperor died under mysterious circumstances.

Ropsha Palace, where the exiled Peter III, now in a state of
ruinirovannom
According to the official version of Peter III died either from a stroke, or hemorrhoids. But there is another version - Peter III guards killed in the ensuing brawl, with 2 days before the official announcement of death. Initially, the body of Peter III was buried in the Alexander Nevsky Monastery, and in 1796 Paul I ordered to transfer the body to the Peter and Paul Cathedral.

Paul I was strangled scarf

Many historians have attributed the death of Paul I, the fact that he dared to encroach on the global hegemony of the United Kingdom. On the night of March 11, 1801 in the imperial apartments broke conspirators and demanded the abdication of the throne of Paul I.

Portrait of Paul I. Artist SSSchukin.

The emperor tried to object and say even hit someone, in response to one of the rebels he began to choke him a scarf, and another struck in the temple to the Emperor massive snuff. People announced that Paul I had a stroke of apoplexy. Crown Prince Alexander, overnight became the Emperor Alexander I, did not dare to touch the murderers of his father, and the policy of Russia returned to the mainstream pro-British.

Snuffbox, which killed Paul I

In those days in Paris in the motorcade Bonaparte threw a bomb. Napoleon was not injured, but the incident commented: "They missed the mark for me in Paris, but were in St. Petersburg».

Interesting coincidence after 212 years on the same day when the murder happened the Russian autocrat, passed away disgraced oligarch Boris Berezovsky.

Alexander II - the emperor, who had made 8 attacks

Emperor Alexander II - the eldest son of the imperial couple Nicholas I and Alexandra - was in the history of Russia as a reformer and liberator. On the assassination of Alexander II was committed few. In 1867 in Paris he tried to kill Berezovsky, a Polish immigrant, in 1879 in St. Petersburg - a Solovyov. But these attempts were unsuccessful, and in August 1879 the executive committee of the "Narodnaya Volya" was decided to murder the emperor. After that there were 2 more failed attempt in November 1879 was an attempt to blow up the imperial train, and in February 1880 blast at the Winter Palace. To fight against the revolutionary movement and the protection of gosporyadka even created the Supreme Administrative Commission, but to prevent the violent death of the emperor it could not.

Emperor Alexander II

March 13, 1881, when the king passed along the embankment of the Catherine Canal in St. Petersburg, Nikolai Trotters threw a bomb right under the carriage, which drove the king. From the terrible blast killed several people, but the emperor remained unharmed. Alexander II out of the broken carriage, went to the wounded, to the detainee, and began to inspect the scene of the explosion. But at this moment, the terrorist Narodnaya Volya Ignatius Grinevitsky threw a bomb right at the feet of the Emperor, mortally wounding him.

Church of the Savior on Blood in St. Petersburg

The explosion ripped the emperor abdomen, swept the legs and disfigured face. More conscious Alexander was able to whisper: "In the palace, I want to die there." It contributed to the Winter and put to bed already unconscious. At the spot where he was killed Alexander II, who on people's donations built Church of the Savior on Blood.

The last Russian emperor had been shot in the basement

Nikolai Romanov, Nicholas II, - the last Russian emperor ascended the throne in 1894 after the death of his father, Emperor Alexander III. March 15, 1917 at the insistence of the Interim Committee of the State Duma of the Russian Emperor signed his abdication and for himself and his son Alexei and was placed with his family under arrest at the Alexander Palace in Tsarskoye Selo.

The royal family

The Bolsheviks wanted to hold a public trial of the ex-emperor (a supporter of this idea was Lenin), and as the chief prosecutor of Nicholas II was to make Trotsky. But there is evidence that organized "White Guard plot" to kidnap the king, and April 6, 1918 the royal family moved to Yekaterinburg and placed in the house Ipatiev.

Ipatiev House. 1928. The first two windows on the left and two windows to the end - the room of the king, queen and heir.
The third window from the end - Bathroom Grand Duchesses. Beneath it - the window of the basement, where the Romanovs were shot

In the night from 16 to 17 July 1918, Emperor Nicholas II, his wife Empress Alexandra, their five children and approximate were shot in the basement.

Tags

See also

New and interesting