«Hairstyles». Hairstyles African girls

Nigerian JD Okhay Odzheykere left behind a wonderful legacy: Killer fantastic pictures of hairstyles of African women. He became famous for his life photographing the amazing structures of the hair. Many hairstyles are so amazing that it is even hard to imagine, without ever seeing. We invite you to enjoy the unusual creativity.

The first pictures appeared in 1960.

"All of these photos are ephemeral and almost mystical. Wear this, except the African women, no one would, for the inhabitants of the big world it is a single installation, theater style. But imagine an African woman without complicated hairstyles impossible. There are so fashionable, so it is accepted. This is the norm. To create some hair out almost a week. I just wanted to these creations remained memory »

The creator of this series of pictures is recognized that photographing hairstyles became a way of studying the Nigerian culture. He photographed only hair, so that the audience is not distracted by the details of the image, face, clothes. Style black and white photography is also intended to emphasize the elegance of the works are ideas.

In 1950, in Laos, Nigeria, where he spent most of his life, the photographer bought a modest camera, and studied photography. He was assisted by more experienced neighbor from the village. In 1951 he began to look for a job and the photographer repeatedly refused. However, in 1954 the Ministry of Information in Ibadan rewarded his perseverance and Okhay was employed. In 1961 he became a photographer Nigerian television channel.

In 1967 he joined the Arts Council and began to make a series of pictures about the culture of Nigeria. Then the question of the project has not yet been passed. A series of photos is the largest part of the image archive of the project on the culture of the country. Okhay photographed almost every day and wherever he could.

"I've always wanted to record moments of beauty. I'm sorry, that remember the past can only picture that hairstyle can not live by themselves. This is a fragile moment of art, as if it is leaking through his fingers. Without art life will be dead, frozen. And I want to revive it! »

Photographer lived a long life. He was born in 1930, died in 2014th. But his pictures became his memorial, it seems to me, making him immortal.

Tags

See also

New and interesting