"Glass of Milk"

Skinny malnourished teenager, went from house to house and sold deshёvenkie goods to pay for their future uchёbu.
And he found that in his pocket remained the only coin worth a few cents.
Being very hungry, he decided in the very next house to ask for anything to eat. But when the young woman opened the door to him, all his determination to instantly evaporate.
"Can I have a drink?" - Stammered in embarrassment and staring at the ground as soon as he faltered. Woman boy seemed hungry, and instead of water she brought him a large glass of milk.
He drank slowly, savoring every mouthful, and when finally finished, said quietly:
"How much do I owe you?»
"No, you do not owe me - the woman replied, smiling - my mother taught us never to take money for their kindness».
"Then - he said - thank you very much, thank you with all my heart!»
On that day, Howard Kelly left that house, feeling stronger, not only physically, but his faith in God and man, it seemed, also strengthened ...
Years passed.
Young woman grown old and seriously ill. When local doctors could not help her, she was sent to a big city hospital, and for consultation to the dying woman was caused by a famous doctor.
Barely glancing at her doctor immediately recognized her as an old friend and decided to do everything possible to save her life.
Fight with the disease lasted for a long time, but the doctor came out of it a worthy winner. And when it's time to write the patient, the doctor asked him to all her account to pay for medical expenses submitted to it for approval.
Barely glancing at the big numbers in the bottom of the page, he quickly cherkanul something on the corner of the invoice submitted to it.
A woman received at hospital discharge papers, did not dare to open them. She was worried that her end of life will have to work to pay for their long-term treatment. With trembling fingers, opening finally collapsed sheet, she drew attention to the note, scribbled in the corner of illegible handwriting.
"Paid in full with one glass of milk" - slowly read it. At the bottom was the signature: Dr. Howard Kelly.
This story, now sounding like a cautionary legend recalls the biblical wisdom: "Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap».
This is not a parable and artistic story
Dr. Kelly (Howard Kelly, 1858 - 1943) - not a fictional person, and a well-known physician, one of the founders of the first in the United States Medical Research at Johns Hopkins University.
The history of him and handed him a glass of milk is also true and recorded his biographer.
This is an example of the simplest case when the response comes back good to do it directly from the person to whom it was provided. But often it happens so that the answer to your good deed a person receives is not from the person to whom he showed mercy. And not even the person it may be, but just the circumstances. Here it is almost impossible to trace the way in which it is a reward for good work or otherwise. No investigative committee, Interpol, the FBI and Scotland Yard all together will not be able to restore the chain of good returns. However, the chain and retribution for evil done too ...

Tags

See also

New and interesting