With my 70th birthday approaching, I feel completely alone with my son alive, all because I didn’t get along with my daughter-in-law.

My story isn't that special, but it doesn't make it any easier for me. I've heard about this situation so many times, but I didn't think I'd become a hostage myself. As my seventh birthday approaches, I am beginning to realize that life is slipping through my fingers. And it’s not even about my health – I was lucky with that. No, I'm talking about the single women crisis that I'm now. My husband died two and a half years ago, he was 11 years older than me. Heart attack. And now I am completely alone in front of a living son who now seems to care nothing at all about me. All because I never got along with my sister-in-law.

Unsplash The Single Women Crisis I share my pain so other moms don't repeat my mistakes. Even if it is very difficult for me to admit them, I realize that it is my fault. When I realized I had reached a dead end, it was too late.

My husband and I were not very close, especially for the last 5 years of marriage. His character was not sugar, and against the background of the disease became completely unbearable. But now I realize that we have never been bored. We were always busy with our fights, so we rarely saw our son. He was completely out of sight as soon as he got married.

When the twins came along, I felt more needed than ever. I went to see the girls regularly, I just had to call! It was mostly my son. He and his daughter-in-law loved to relax together on the weekends. Friends have a wedding, a corporate party, a vacation, a date. I was very understanding, and I was very happy.

What to do if there is a vegetarian in the family

Unsplash Only I didn't always understand how their relationship worked. The thing is, my daughter-in-law is a vegetarian, and everything revolves around this. Don’t think about it, I’m fine with it, but everything has limits. There's no meat or chicken in the house. Only fish, eggs and cheese (sometimes not even real, soy). My daughter-in-law doesn’t even eat this, but it was difficult for my son to switch to such a diet. Not to mention the granddaughters!

Of course, when I stayed with the kids, I cooked too. I cooked with what was in the fridge. One day I decided to have a serious conversation. Girls are very thin for their age, with appetite eat only pasta and cheese. The daughter-in-law, although she has a plan for a full meal, but granddaughters do not like it at all. You know how children relate to fish, boiled vegetables and legumes.

Unsplash hit her hard, and she hinted that when she cooked, the girls ate everything clean. Maybe it is, maybe I'm not too good at it. But I still think a growing body needs a lot more protein. The son was silent and said nothing.

Family Disputes

Since then, our relationship has deteriorated completely. All because I couldn't figure out how that was possible. Food is everyone's choice! But these are children, the children do not understand this. I once brought them candy last Christmas. In the cardboard gift box, there are still a variety of sweets: caramel, jelly, nougat, waffles, chocolate. So the daughter-in-law threw them away. My granddaughters then told me that I had brought harmful candy with palm oil and chemicals.

As a result, we had a big fight and I was asked not to interfere with their lives with their advice. The granddaughters had already grown up, and there was no need to sit with them. And I've been forgotten...

Then my husband died and I was left completely alone in my huge three-bedroom apartment. The son no longer calls, probably his daughter-in-law banned him for ideological reasons. I tried to contact her, but she ignored all my invitations. The last thing she told me was that I insulted her with my attitude towards vegetarians. More specifically, pescatarians. I've never even heard a word like that before!

I don’t even know why it’s harder for me now. Because I lost my son, or because I don't see my beloved granddaughters. Am I right? I don't know, I just do what I was taught. Maybe I'm really wrong. In the end, the granddaughters are healthy and happy, the son is very athletic and fit, and the daughter-in-law herself is a look. While my doctor advises to give up fatty and fried.

It’s New Year’s Eve soon, and I’m afraid no one will congratulate me on it. My heart is torn apart! I'm ready to put up with the newfangled diets and the fact that my daughter-in-law seems to hate me. I wish it were the same again.

Tags

See also

New and interesting