I was surprised to learn that the popular saying “Moscow does not believe in tears” has a continuation.

For centuries, people have accumulated wise advice and valuable observations of life in the form of brief aphorisms or proverbs. Today, we use them to give speech vividness and imagery. But we do not always understand the exact meaning of Russian proverbs and sayings.

Why is this happening? Sometimes the meaning of winged expressions is lost or transformed over time. But more often the reason is that proverbs have come down to us in a very shortened form, and we do not even know how they could sound initially.

I will immediately say that not all continuations of famous proverbs are related to folk wisdom. Some of them are a simple exercise in wit, the fruit of the activity of journalists, bloggers and netizens. So how do we separate the grains from the chaff?

View this post on Instagram

Publication by Pushkin Library (@bibliotekaim.a.s.pushkina)

The largest source of Russian folklore will help – the collection Proverbs of the Russian People published in 1862 by Vladimir Ivanovich Dahl. Turning to him, we understand that the proverb “Hand washes hand, and two hands face” is a modern invention. And Dahl's sequel sounded different: "The hand washes his hand - both whites live." “The hand washes, the thief covers.”

In the genre of anti-proverbs popular today on the radio and the Internet, a new element is deliberately added to classical proverbs. The main thing is that the prototype is instantly guessed, and the continuation puts it upside down, enhancing the comic effect.

Old proverbs with a forgotten continuation No fish, no meat, no caftan, no cassock.

Fear has big eyes, but can't see anything.

A smart room, but not a penny.

We live, chew bread, and sometimes salt.

My tongue is my enemy; before their minds they search for troubles.

The ruble keeps a penny, and the ruble keeps its head.

The mouth is full and there is nothing to eat.

Two boots - a pair, and both on the left foot.

The morning of the evening is wiser - the grass of straw is greener.

The morning is wiser, the husband's wife is farther away.

Debt is red and loans are red.

Not everything is carnival cat, there will be a great fast.

You make porridge, don't sting butter.

Healthy as a bull, and I don't know what to do.

The family is not without a freak, but because of a freak, everything is not to please.

Laugh with laughter, but it's business.

Rabbits wear legs, wolves feed teeth, fox tail protects.

Stubborn will be corrected by a club, a humpback grave.

Continuation of the famous proverbs Apple from the apple tree falls not far, but rolls far.

Moscow does not believe in tears, give her a case.

Under the reclining stone water does not flow, and under the rolling does not have time.

A brave bullet is afraid, and a coward will find in the bushes.

It is the beginning, and the end is near.

Seven troubles is one answer, the eighth trouble is nowhere.

Moscow does not believe in tears, give her a case.

They bring water to the offended, and they ride on the good themselves.

Contemporary anti-proverbs A century live - a century cure.

The taste and color of all markers are different.

The farther into the forest, the master's business is afraid.

The first son is a coma.

Without knowing the ford, let the comrade ahead.

Yogis don't burn pots.

One in the field is not sick.

Do not have a hundred rubles, and have an antiseptic.

Tags

See also

New and interesting