What phrases give illiteracy

We are all human and can make mistakes sometimes, that is natural. However, there are phrases and words that make goose bumps. They immediately betray an illiterate person, which means they should be avoided. Some of these mistakes are so deeply embedded in our subconscious that we don’t even notice them. We need to turn away from this path, and we will do it right now.

Editorial "Site" He says, literate What phrases should be forgotten once and for all?

How to speak competently
  1. Distinctive feature
    In speech, there are often phrases with redundancy, the so-called pleonasms. And this is one of them. A feature is a distinctive feature. One word is enough to reveal the meaning.

2. I have a cat.
    “I have parents/mother/friend/dogs...” – I hear this phrase more often than I would like. You don't have to say that. First, it is wrong, and second, it sounds strange and incomprehensible. It’s better to say “my friend” or “my parents” or it’s not clear to you or anyone else.

3. Climb up the stairs
    They rise and so up, it is difficult to do the opposite. Then why point the direction? Suffice it to say, “Go up the stairs.” Same with the descent, by the way, there's no need to say you're going down the stairs. Do not overload speech with unnecessary clarifications.

4. The worst.
    "Worst" is a superb degree of the adjective "bad." This implies that this object is the worst, and it is not necessary to strengthen it further. It's like saying "the worst." One word will be enough to convey the essence.

5. Have a seat.
    This error was due to prejudice rather than ignorance of the rules. The word “sit down” supposedly carries a prison connotation, which means that you can not say so. But “sitting down” is incorrect, because it is used to mean “to descend, bent your knees”. That is, by saying “sit down”, you suggest a person to squat. This is inconvenient, so it is better to forget about prejudice and speak correctly.

6. Big half.
    You’ve probably heard this phrase before, but it’s logically wrong. Halfs are two equal parts of one whole. There can be no greater or lesser half, they are equal. If it's big, it's part of it.

7. I'll call you.
    In everyday life, the phrase occurs quite often, but there it does not belong. Dial a group, a phone number, but not a person. You can say, "I'll dial your number," but it sounds weird. Better just say you'll call.

8. Joint cooperation
    Cooperation is a joint activity. Therefore, the phrase “joint cooperation” sounds excessive, the adjective is clearly superfluous.

Now you know, how to speak competently! Now you just need to remember these phrases and never say them.

We often write materials that help us all become better and not make mistakes. For example, recently we have been investigating the most frequent and unacceptable speech errors.

Earlier, we explained how to use words correctly and avoid redundancy in speech. This will be useful if you really want to learn to speak correctly!

And we made a selection of words about food, in which it is better not to make mistakes. Be sure to look!

What phrases annoy you? If you have anything to add, go to the comments.

Tags

See also

New and interesting