Relatives hit an impressionable spouse, ordered major repairs

Why do relatives have a need to give out unsolicited advice about home improvement and how to respond to this? These are the questions that the heroine of today’s history, 32-year-old Svetlana from Krasnodar, had to ask recently. Can we help her find answers together?

Last weekend, my husband and I arranged a small family meeting. Husband just recently returned from a long-term business trip and terribly missed everyone, and to see anyone else really did not have time. So we decided to call all the closest relatives and celebrate his return together.

Everything was great at first. I laid a generous table, as a good hostess should. Everyone enjoyed eating and listening to her husband’s funny stories about the adventures he had to participate in during the trip.

Then my parents started asking us about our future plans. My husband’s family has joined us in discussing our lives. Smoothly easy emotional conversation turned into the distribution of unsolicited advice.

My parents couldn’t stop raising their grandson. And the husband's relatives noticed that it was time for us to improve the housing, because the situation allegedly looks poor. This is despite the fact that they themselves live in a small family, where repairs from the time of its construction and did not smell.

The words of my relatives did not catch me at all. But the husband immediately after the guests dispersed, ordered a major repair. He says, let’s take a loan and improve the housing, so that we also enjoy living in it, and there was no shame in front of the guests.

I started telling him we couldn’t afford it right now. First, the mortgage is not paid to the end, and secondly, a year later, the son in the first class to give. What kind of repair can we talk about?

My husband is offended that I do not support him on this issue. I don’t understand why this situation hurt him so much. Before that, we were both happy with the way we lived. What makes people give unsolicited advice? Why not just take care of your life?

Do you think that you should make concessions to your husband and fulfill his whim or still try to convince him that repairs are not the most successful idea? We look forward to your advice in the comments with our storyteller!

Tags

See also

New and interesting