Why don't Norwegians plant a vegetable garden if they have a private house and land?

When traveling abroad, I am most interested in the opportunity to observe the peculiarities of other cultures. If you look at the lives of the inhabitants of other countries, you can find many interesting differences. Today I'm going to talk about this. How to live in Norway In private homes, without gardens.

Two years ago, a group of friends and I went on a long trip to Norway, to the fabulous fjords. Our goal was not popular dots, but Small towns where tourists rarely visit. It seems to me that the country can be understood only by visiting its hinterland.

Well, there is a whole treatise on the differences between our way of life and Norwegian life, but I will dwell only on one point.

We are all used to seeing a garden or garden near almost every private house in the CIS. Someone planted the entire area with potatoes, someone - berries and edible greens. Well, I have never seen anything like this in Norway.. We went to different towns and villages. And everywhere the same picture.

At first I couldn't understand, so how come? Are they lazy? But after a few weeks in this beautiful country, I realized that I like their approach.. Beautiful sheared lawns, flowers in pots at the entrance and neat bushes in the yard - nothing superfluous. No cucumbers and cabbage, not even berries and fruit.

Why Norwegians don’t start gardens I think the thing is that Norwegians spend a lot of time working and work too much. value their free timeTo work in the garden. These people spend their weekends on yachts, ski resorts in the mountains or at home with their family, not on potatoes. Even the grass on the lawn they do not cut themselves, but hire gardeners or use robots.

Those who want to feel like a gardener go to the plantation in Hardanger and collect berries there for themselves. But more often than not, just buy raspberries, strawberries, cherries. The Norwegians earn very well, and the prices for berries are moderate. For example, in the season, a kilogram of strawberries can be bought for 28-30 crowns - it is about 100 hryvnia or 250 Russian rubles.

Also a very important point: their houses are located mainly on rocky ground. That is, for gardening, they would have to import fertile soil, which is not so cheap. To this add seedlings, fertilizer, plus time spent. Of course, it is easier for them to buy groceries. It will be better, and no unnecessary problems.

Norwegians buy jams in stores. In addition, they do not have a tradition to drink tea with jam, as we have, or compote to cook. They buy berries just to eat. There are no preparations or conservations.

Vegetables are also cheap by local standards. Even many farmers buy cabbage, potatoes, onions and everything else in stores. Where to? better off And make dairy products.

I've also seen a lot of fruit trees that no one picks. They grow just for beauty. However, now such a spectacle can be seen in the native spaces.

Personally, remembering how my parents work in the garden and do not feel sorry for themselves, I think: “Maybe we should learn from the Norwegians?” Spend more time with your family, value your time and spare your energy. After all, potatoes or carrots can be bought in the store, but health and time are not.

Tags

See also

New and interesting