Why do the youth consider the dowry an outdated tradition, and the elderly do not hurry to disown it

Are parents obligated to help adult children? Or should older children help older moms and dads? Probably, in a strong family, everyone is ready to help without hesitation and has the right to rely on the help of others. But does that happen often? For example, in today’s history, parents have decided not to adulthood. They're convinced they're right.

My husband and I decided to borrow a third apartment. Those around me are shaking their heads, even though Andrew and I are confident that we are doing everything right. As long as there is health, you need to earn, spin, ensure your future, Natalia is sure.

“In one apartment we live ourselves, the second we rent out, and there we will rent out the third. What we get from renters, we spend on repayment of loans. As a result, over time, housing will be obtained almost for nothing.”

The girlfriend talked about her plans, she asked everything and noted: It was cleverly invented, the apartment will never be superfluous. And there your boys will get married, families will start, this is their living space for each. I certainly did not expect such naivety from her. I hardly turned a cup of tea over myself, laughing.

We are not going to give out apartments to our sons. If there was a daughter, that would be different. And let the guys earn their own living, there is no point in investing in them. And so we raise them for other people's women, from whom you certainly do not expect any gratitude. I have already heard stories about “thankful” daughters-in-law.

“His mother will always be bad for his son’s wife, and her own mother will always be good. Come to the young - bad, do not come - bad, help - bad. You won't please me, you won't please me. That's why you shouldn't try. Today, young people have so many opportunities to earn money that it is even foolish to hope for an inheritance. Don't let mine hope.

I told my girlfriend that you can invest in the families of daughters, at least some return will be. But there is little hope for adult sons, you will have to rely only on yourself. Therefore, my husband and I care about our future, so that old age does not disappear. And our apartments will certainly help us more than any of our future daughter-in-law.”

“My neighbour is a perfect example. Alone raised a son, married and for 5 years trying to improve relations with his daughter-in-law. Almost peeking into his mouth. And gives money, and with the granddaughter constantly fiddles, and gratitude zero. The daughter-in-law does not say thank you, but he does not say hello every time. And one son. Here is a neighbor and entertains herself with the hope that she will still get better, Natalia says.

Natalia and her husband are right to take care of their future. But why are they so sure that their relationship with the future daughter-in-law (and her relatives) will not work out? You can always build respectful relationships with normal people. And this prejudice and categorical reluctance to help children is unlikely to lead to anything good.

Tags

See also

New and interesting