Ray Bradbury about the healing power of literature

Art is given to us in order not to die in realityIn the seventies in one of the shows for TV channel CBC ray Bradbury said about why literature does not allow us to die in the modern world.

"No matter what you do in this world, you hold on to a part of reality, interpreting it, helping to survive yourself and others. I mean that we are creatures that actively react to the tension of the environment. At the same time, we are the only one in the Universe able to renounce the use of violence, if not to take into account possible acts of aggression, which we would have had to resort in the world of wildlife.

In order to exist, we reject the use of violence and care about each other — the only one in the world! Animals follow instincts, to destroy or survive. We decide not to behave that way.We are building walls, cities, and inside them we need creative people, one of which is myself, who take some piece of reality and say — let's see what it is.

People try not to cry. For this and need writers to help you cry.

People are saving laughter (for politicians, probably) writers help them to laugh. Literature allows us to keep inside innate killer instinct — after all, one of the most wonderful facts about our civilization is that most people don't kill each other. So the writer appears with its own history and allows us to virtually kill within the hour, the next day you don't have to do it in real life.

Art is given to us in order not to die in reality because it is too close to us. We too know a lot about death, aging, love, which sometimes deceives us. People leave and disappear forever from our lives. Our friends leave this world and never come back.

Our children come to adulthood and become independent.Each of us somehow ceases to exist. All of this creates incredible tension, this is a huge stress. How to deal with it I take my typewriter and for many days experimenting with words to find out what I really care about. To cry or to laugh? Sometimes I don't know myself.

So I start typing everything that comes to my mind: "dwarf", "night", "lake", "wind", "the time machine". And then I ask myself why you wrote all this? Why did you write, for example, "children's room"?

What type is she, where is she — in the past or the future? Or not, what about the future? Maybe it will be automated? Might be so that you will be able to enter this children's room and order her to carry you on the East coast of America to Africa or the North pole? And suddenly you're placed in a three-dimensional, colored representation of this external environment?

Well, put your kids in that environment, show it to their parents. How this environment will affect their relationship? Suddenly you take off and already floating in the air — all due to the fact that you dared to put on paper the words "children's room". You don't live with history in itself, but follow it." published

@ Ray Bradbury

P. S. And remember, just changing your mind - together we change the world! ©

Source: //theoryandpractice.ru/posts/7555-raymond-douglas

Tags

See also

New and interesting