Outwardly successful people

To an outside observer, it seems that Amanda Leventhal, student at the College at the University of Missouri, everything is fine. Excellent grades, good friends, participation in University choir — she's not the man of whom it could be said that she had "depression". And yet, she's depressed.

None of her friends even knew about it until Leventhal wrote an essay about her secret struggle with anxiety and depression.

Here is the essay:

I first came to a psychiatrist about my depression and anxiety in high school. At the reception, she asked about my grades and employment in the school. I was told that my average rating is 4 and I am preparing for tough exam. Puzzled, she looked at me and asked if I participate in extracurricular activities. I rattled off a long list of groups and clubs. Crease of bewilderment on her face ran deeper.

Finally, she put down the pen, looked at me and said something like, "I Think you have a very great ability, but your anxiety and depression is very serious. Teenagers like you scare me."

Now I was confused. Apparently I was quite "normal" teenager. Even a workaholic. I worked, despite my mental disorders, and even succeeded, so what's the problem? What was so awful about my condition?

I left the office with a prescription for antidepressants and the question that was bugging me for many years. The answer did not come immediately; rather, I've found it every time when I heard the news of another suicide story with the comment: "Everyone thought he had everything perfectly". The answer came to me when I again and again fell into despair, trying to meet and to achieve something. He came to me when I began to share my story and to tell about their illness, and everyone around said: "wow, I didn't know" or "I never would have thought".

It is easy to expand the depression to the symptoms, and though we always say that mental illness has many forms and manifestations, we have established certain inflexible idea of what a depression is. When we discuss depression and anxiety in adolescents, we represent children who struggle every day of my life. We see drops in their grades. We see their zest for life gives way to reticence. People quietly slip away.

We do not think that depression can be the student, bringing the four student, who sings in the choir, plays in the theatre, headed the religious youth group and is a member of the National Honor Society. Despite what we often say that mental illness is not so easy to identify, we return to the formulaic view of how it should be manifested, and that is dangerous.

Aware of this danger I could find the answer to your question. I watched many people, including myself, who were able to slip under the "depression detector" and understand the origin of this fear. My psychiatrist knew the list of symptoms and knew that I don't meet them. She understood that the reason for this was that although my struggle with mental illness began at age 12, I came to her only in 16. Four years is a long time to deal with mental disorder alone, and high school is a dangerous time to deal with them.

If we allow our idea of what it looks like mental illness to dictate to us how to recognize and treat it, we continue to ignore those who do not fit into this view.We can't ignore the fact that there are people who do not present every symptom in the list, is still seriously ill. If we forget this, and their struggle for life will go unnoticed, and it's really scary.

Speaking of depression, is antidepressants and popular culture often paint the same picture: detachment from friends or favorite activities, problems with sleep and tears. Though these signs also exist, the problem is that a lot of depression. a depressed Person can look like Kristen bell. Or as Olympic champion swimmer Allison Schmitt. As your colleague just got promoted, or your friend who just got engaged.They are all part of the growing contingent of people suffering from the so-called high-functioning depression. But since there is a recognized stamp, many hide their problems, and nobody knows that they have something wrong — sometimes until it's too late.

High - and discoversevilla depression

High-functioning depression is depressed, when it seems that apparently someone is all right, but really inside he's really sick and sad.

Carol Landau, PhD, clinical Professor of psychiatry, human behavior and medicine at Brown Universit, says that first of all observes that women tend toward perfectionism in General, these are your colleagues and friends who lead enviable lives, and have a long list of personal achievements.

"People often say that "high functioning depression" is better than "discoversevilla", but that's not entirely true, because the most important thing for a depressed person to get help, and people with high-functioning depression do not always receive it," says Landau.

Struggle in full view of everyone

Leventhal did not immediately publicly talked about his struggle: "I have often thought to write an essay. One night I couldn't sleep and decided to put into words all what is being pondered for many years."

She says that after her post was published, her friends admitted that she was in shock. Now she feels more comfortable talking about his depression: "to Say that I have an appointment with my therapist, I the same as to say that I go to the dentist".But at the same time, she admits that she still does not speak much about it, because worrying that it'll push people away.

Landau says it's typical for women: "We are all the time trying to take care of and therefore aren't allowed the idea that they themselves need help,"she says.

"But this is a huge problem. In fact, depression is the main cause of incapacity worldwide, according to the world health organization, which takes into account such factors as absences, inability to perform daily work and probably influence of other diseases, such as diabetes. But in the moment when someone decides to open up his friend, he might hear in response: "I survive" or "my sister/mother/our best friend feels the same".

Other ways to detect depression

Leventhal does not identify himself with the Moody women in advertising of antidepressants. Its symptoms manifest differently. "I got nervous," she explains. Landau says it's absolutely fine. "You may have a friend who's cranky all the time, or a kind friend, these are usually called "bitch", but at heart this person is really struggling. Other subtle signs to detect depression: gloomy irony or jokes — if they do not match the character of your acquaintance."

So, how to talk with a friend, if you think she is hiding depression? Landau says that you need to start is simply to ask, what's up, all right. "How are you? You haven't been yourself lately. Did something happen?". Just be there, listen and ask all that you need. Different people have different. Landau says that it is best to contact an experienced therapist: "There are many different types of therapists, drugs, programs, and other tools. So awful that so many people do not seek help".published

P. S. And remember, just changing your mind - together we change the world! ©

Source: www.matrony.ru/depressiya-u-uspeshnyih-lyudey/

Tags

See also

New and interesting