Oregon Zoo Elephant Paki is 52 years old!

Oregon Zoo is pleased to announce that its Asian elephant, Packy, is 52 years old on April 14th. Paki is the oldest elephant living in North America.

Photo: Oregon Zoo

For his birthday, the anniversary was presented with a huge 18-pound cake decorated with carrots, bananas, apples, sweet potatoes and watered with sweet glaze. According to the staff of the park, the elephant liked the sweet surprise.

“Paki slowly but surely proceeded to his cake,” says Bob Lee, who is the zoo’s senior curator. He behaved as an elephant should when he was old.

First, Paki stopped by the cake to appreciate its beauty. After considering intricate flowers created from carrots, sweet potatoes, bananas and pieces of apples, he began a meal, said Paul Bosch, the chef of the zoo, who created this masterpiece of culinary art.

I was very pleased that Paki appreciated my gift, which I had to work on for about two hours. The biggest thank you to me was that Packie ate the whole cake without leaving any of it! And the recipe is quite simple: wheat flour, 2.5 kg of oil, glaze and his favorite fruits and vegetables!

“Apart from the glaze, all the other ingredients are very useful to him!” says the chef. If you think that 2.5 kg of oil is a lot, then keep in mind that our Packy weighs more than 5.5 tons! It’s like one-third of a teaspoon for a person – not so much, explains Paul Bosch.

That's what he was like... Photo: Oregon Zoo

- Paki is our favorite! He is an honored resident of our zoo, so we want him to be comfortable with us. I want him to be happy, says the zoo director. - Paki is in excellent condition. Naturally, he has already begun to show the first signs of aging, such as loss of muscle mass and minor joint pain, but overall he is quite healthy for his "retirement" age.

That's what he was like... Photo: Oregon Zoo

In addition to being the oldest elephant in North America, Paki is also the largest of all male Asian elephants. Its height at the withers is about 4 meters! In addition, Paki became the father of 7 elephants, two of whom live in the Oregon Zoo. Paki was born in the same zoo on April 14, 1962.

Video: The Birth of Paki (April 14, 1962) by Oregon Zoo

Source: zoopicture.ru

Tags

See also

New and interesting