Eco-construction: data centers in the mine

British and American scientists and environmentalists have made some mad, but at the same time not devoid of meaning offer. Experts have offered a server room or data centers in old abandoned mines. Experts believe that this approach will not only save money, but to give these objects a new life.

In many European countries, as well as in the U.S. there are many old and not so deep the mine shafts. Typically, this is mine for the extraction of limestone. These underground structures are quite reliable, even decades after its closure. The average temperature in these mines is 10 degrees Celsius, which makes them almost ideal for household use.

Data centers produce huge amount of heat, and therefore need quite a powerful cooling system. Providing cooling is a waste of precious energy. Mines the same – it is actually a natural refrigerator that can be used for the above purposes.

Of course, before putting a data center underground, will require reconstruction of the faces, however, according to experts, in most case it is much more simple and less time consuming procedure than the construction of a new cooling system.

As a consequence, the location of data centers in the mines, would require creating all dependent objects in the immediate vicinity. As an alternative – would need to create a powerful and modern infrastructure, providing a stable and rapid exchange of information. However, it is much cheaper than the construction of separate centers for these purposes.

Source: www.ecobyt.ru/

Tags

See also

New and interesting