Like butterflies escape from sexual harassment

Sixty million one hundred forty four thousand eight hundred sixty seven

In the short lives of female butterflies spotted ducats sex is not a great place too — they do it only once.

After that, as discovered by Japanese scientists, butterflies, to avoid unwanted attention by annoying the males, are very simple method: they put their patterned wings and thereby become less visible to suitors.

This phenomenon is described in the journal of Enthomology.

Head of research, Dr. Jun-Ya IDE from the Institute of Technology in Fukuoka, found that female spotted coins very often fold their wings when they are surrounded by other butterflies.

"I also noticed that they do it much less frequently when passing them fly butterfly other species," added Dr. Ihde, whose goal is to figure out what the reason of such unusual behaviour.

фото:www.flickr.com

The result of the evolution of"Annoying attempts at mating" made by the irrepressible males, can be dangerous to the fragile females, and therefore have guessed a Japanese scientist, females, apparently, folded wings with the purpose to get rid of obsessive fans.

To test his hypothesis, Dr. Ihde used the layout of the male spotted gold pieces.

"When I brought the toy males to females, which have already been mating, they are often folded wings", he said.

However, butterflies that this process was about, wings folded and proudly left them in plain sight.

"I came to the conclusion that when the female no longer need to mate, it folds its wings, so as not to attract attention," explained a Japanese scientist.

At the same time, the butterfly virgin "straighten the wings, to the contrary, to attract males".

According to Dr. EDI, "folding of the wings is a pattern of behavior, which evolved in butterflies spotted ducats in order to avoid sexual harassment".

Victoria Gill, BBC BBC, London

source:bbc.co.uk

Source: /users/1077

Tags

See also

New and interesting