All about the choice of wall paints: water-dispersion

If you started a repair, you will definitely have to devote time to the selection of materials for finishing. Let's meet them one by one. Let's start with the wall coverings and will discuss in this article the water-dispersion paints. What is it and is it worth to choose this type for finishing.

A bit of history paintsProbably none of us have ever thought about the question: how old are the inks? Meanwhile, archaeologists claim that people are already 17 thousand years, just imagine! Yes, of course, before the paint was a slightly different composition, but it has evolved along with humanity. The very nature of paints for centuries has not changed, was added different binding elements, and methods change the color. Because people saw the world in color and that I wanted to paint it. To obtain the pigments used and the minerals, and herbs — all that gives earth, including herself.

And later invented chemical compositions and obtained the desired shade. In the middle ages the pigments included even dangerous lead and arsenic... people's Lives these colors, of course, shortened, but perhaps thanks to them that we still admire paintings and frescoes of those times. In our 21st century paint tested for environmental friendliness, toxicity, safety... and in the diversity of colors and their application in our day you can write a thesis! However, we have another problem, why limit ourselves to a compact story.

The composition of water-dispersion paintsFirst, let's be clear about the scientific parameters of the composition of the aqueous paint. I will try to explain everything simple and clear. Water-dispersion paint is, in fact, water-filling. Filling, as a rule, represent a binder based on synthetic latexes and copolymers (acrylic or vinyl acetate). If to tell even easier is particles in the water which, after application to a surface (painting) and evaporation of the water, moving closer. Then these particles adhere to each other and form a film. Here and all science))

Water-dispersion paint contains no solvents. And even in our age, in it there are synthetic materials, it's still environmentally friendly, safe, easy to manufacture and use. In addition, water-based paint is odorless and "friendly" with almost any types of surfaces (excellent traction, adhesion). Therefore, it is widely used in construction industry for production facilities and in home repairs.

All water-based paints initially can be divided into two groups:

• Interior, that is designed to cover the walls inside.
  • Facade - the exterior.
Interior paint

More attention I will give the acrylic paint, because, thanks to their qualities, they are more than others suitable for home use. This is a fairly common product that you will always find on the shelves of any hardware store. Acrylic paint is a water-dispersion acrylic paint binder (acrylates, or their copolymers). It is economical and easy to use, dries quickly, forms on the surface of the coating is vapor permeable ("breathes"). An important caveat: acrylic paints retain their color well and don't fade, withstanding intense UV radiation.

Since the surface treatment you have chosen painting, such a decision is hard to call wrong. Indeed, what could be the cons in this choice? On the contrary all the way)

• Painting is the most inexpensive kind of treatment. Difficult to find something more economical for the walls. The price for this type of coverage can vary only depending on manufacturer (brand), and some other nuances, which we will discuss below.
  • The job requires special skills. It is enough to follow simple rules to self to paint any surface in the house. With some types of colouring even a child will cope! And generally agree that many such even pleasure) Because the desire to create inherent in each, but the gift of the artist, alas, is not given to everyone. So: for those who, as they say, "neither sing nor draw" (like me))), boldly stated — the painting of walls, ceilings and other things you can handle without problems!))
  • Another advantage is the possibility to choose the desired color. You will never have problems with that in the table no tinting of the shade you want. Moreover, for a long time, I've noticed that the customers difficulties arise because of the abundance of these flowers. Sometimes we had to wait for weeks while going to choose one shade from several any.
  • In fact, there are more environmentally friendly and safe type of coating than painting with acrylic paints. And, if you are concerned about a health issue, it was reported that the level of sustainability they are next to natural materials. You can challenge this statement by listing other types of finishes: wood, stone, Wallpaper made of natural fibers. But do not forget that the Wallpaper stick to the glue, which is far from natural, as the composition of mastics for stone. And the wood will be protected from fungi and insects by using chemicals, antiseptic.
  • The paintwork over time, it is very easy to update. This means if there is a contamination of that well, does not wash (familiar situation for those who have children)), it is enough for a small amount of paint of the same color to hide the defect. If you need to update the cover (cosmetic repair), just go with one coat of paint of the same color that was, but the Wallpaper would have to change.
  • Another plus I should mention the durability of the coating against mechanical and chemical attack. Choosing the right type of paint you will be able to exploit it for years! If you want to argue with this statement, then, at the time, chose the wrong paint) Below we will return to this issue, but just note that the color durable.
Of course, we will pay some attention and cons of this type of coverage. However, I want to say that all cons except for one obvious, easy to refute. Let's start in order.

The main disadvantage of painting is the surface preparation before its application. Ie: walls should be smooth plastered and desirable — perfect. To achieve this ideal, frankly, quite difficult, especially in older homes. You have to align the wall, edit the angles and stuff. However, to be honest, any other kind of decoration also can not hide the strong irregularities.

Now try to refute other cons that I most frequently heard from clients:

— I would have painted, but I have a new house — there is a shrinkage of the walls and plaster covered with cracks and it will be noticeable.
Indeed, when painting you need to consider some factors and this is one of them. However, this situation also there is a way — you can use fiberglass (fibreglass Wallpaper for painting). Only they are able to really reinforce a new surface, because sometimes the cracks are very macro! And any other Wallpaper can not necessarily macrofactors and tear. And selecting the glass cloth, you protect yourself from such troubles and you'll be able to repaint them to a few times. And, again, this option is not more expensive than other types of finishes — stone, tile or panels.

I don't like the smooth surface, I love texture.
These arguments against painting, too, put forward often enough. However, and here the producers have long provided for all of your "want" and "would be nice", and if a responsible approach to the selection and product search, you will find a lot of options!

• The texture of the paint. This is the same acrylic substance with the addition of different texture components. It could be sawdust, rubber crumb of different caliber, and the calcinated granules and any other material. The use of this type of paint will help you achieve uneven or rough surface of the wall, and, optionally, the use of different types of application, even create your own custom design.
  • Fiberglass. In addition to absolutely smooth (this is called gossamer), manufacturers have lots of options from textured, ranging from simple matting to tapestry and others. They are so durable that they are almost impossible to damage, so they are not afraid of animals and children (where do without them)). Glass cloth Wallpaper will withstand repeated coloring. The only problem you have when you want to get rid of them — they are difficult to come off from the walls.
  • Don't want forever? Then you textured paintable Wallpaper: vinyl on non-woven basis, and there are paper. And they are not as durable as fiberglass, but both will give your walls a superb relief (by the way, images the Wallpaper — an incredible number). After painting on the wall will not be visible joints, and repaint the Wallpaper is allowed up to 4 times. To be honest, it can be more, but then the relief surface almost disappear under layers of paint.

Tags

See also

New and interesting