How to teach a child not to interrupt adults

Kids have a lot going on. Often they are just bursting to say something and they run straight to me to tell me what they have in mind regardless of whether I'm already talking with someone. So they used to. This was before I saw this truly genius technique from my friend.

I was chatting with her one day when her (then 3-year-old) son wanted to say something. Instead of having to interrupt our conversation, he just put his hand on her wrist and waited. My friend put her hand over his to give him a sign, and we continued to chat.

After she finished speaking, she turned to him. I was in awe! So simple. So gently. So respectful for the child and for the adult. Her son had to wait a few seconds while mommy finishes his sentence, after which she drew all attention to him.

My husband immediately took this technique into service. We explained to the children that if they want to talk and someone is already talking, they have to put their hands on our wrist and wait.

It took a little practice and a few light taps on our own wrists as gentle reminders but I'm glad the children stopped us dead!

No more "Wait" or "don't interrupt adults." Just a simple gesture — a little touch of the wrist. That's all. It works! published

Translation: Liliya Tarasova

P. S. And remember, only by changing their consumption — together we change the world! ©

Source: www.stranamam.ru/post/9695732/

Tags

See also

New and interesting