Eugene Delacroix: the loneliness — the good, necessary for the development

Studying the diary of eugène Delacroix and published fragments, in which the young artist explains why loneliness is good for the Creator, and tells how to overcome social distraction.

"It is almost impossible to write, as one" complained Susan Sontag in her diary, and the famous Russian Director Andrei Tarkovsky warned young people: "People who are bored with themselves, are in danger."

These two polar views have existed since ancient times, but lately we have become so to prevent boredom, afraid to be alone with yourself, that simply have forgotten how to experience loneliness. It would seem a small loss, but after the great revelations of twentieth century philosophers, who saw in the solitude the path to finding your true self, after realizing that solitude is a necessary component of creativity and contemplation, our immense passion to escape the social network and wall off ourselves from the world of gadgets, it seems, if not pathetic, that Kain is a stub.

The great French artist and a diligent diarist ("the Diary of Delacroix" has more than eight hundred pages and covers all the years of his adult life) Eugene Delacroix explored this paradox with expressive finesse two centuries before the modern epidemic of compulsive sociality and allergies to loneliness.

As he approached his twenty-sixth birthday, Delacroix has outlined the problem to which later he will not again return and which will appear in all its glory before the inhabitants of the XXI century, lose the ability to dialogue with the other: the problem of choosing between the charm of social life and "fertile solitude" necessary for the soul and for creativity. Publish fragments from the diary of Delacroix, in which he reflects on the welfare of loneliness, and not suggesting anything: the choice is still yours.

Sunday, January 4 (1824)

"Unfortunate, is it possible to create something great, always in contact with all that vulgarity? Think about the great Michelangelo, nourish yourself with great and severe beauty that nourishes the soul! And I'm still off from their study for the sake of empty entertainment. Look for loneliness! If your life will be measured, health will not suffer from your seclusion".

Wednesday, 31 March (1924)

"We should have enough for lunch and work in the evenings alone. I think that happen from time to time in a large light or simply light is less harmful for development and mental work, that would be about it ranted so-called artists, rather than withstand their own visit. All their conversations utterly vulgar; they need to be saved in solitude, but you must live in abstinence, as Plato. It is a way to focus your enthusiasm on any one, when every minute distracted somewhere to the side and constantly need the company of others. Dufresne is right: the fact that experiencing by yourself, it remains pure and strong. No matter how great the pleasure of sharing their experiences with each other, it is necessary to explain too many shades; it can be, each and feel, but in their own way, and it weakens every impression. Time he advises me, but I do recognize the need to visit Italy alone and live alone when I get settled in, start now to get used to it: hence will arise and other happy changes. Memory comes back, the present understanding and order...".

Sunday, April 4

"Everything convinces me of the need to withdraw into my solitude. The best and most precious moments of my life spent on entertainment, which, in essence, bring only boredom. The possibility or the expectation of these opportunities is beginning to erode and that little remnant forces who survived I have bad held the day before. Memory for practicing, dies or weakens. I find comfort in their need to act useless projects. Thousands of valuable ideas remain fruitless, because devoid of continue. They devour me, they ruin me. The enemy is stuck in a fortress in the heart; it all leaves the hand.

Think about the benefits that you get instead of this emptiness, every minute brings you from himself: on the inner satisfaction and clear memory, the composure, which is achieved by proper life, about health, which will not be loosened by constant concessions to transient excitations, which draws you in someone else's society, completed work on the permanent work."published

P. S. And remember, only by changing their consumption — together we change the world! ©

Join us in Facebook , Vkontakte, Odnoklassniki

Source: monocler.ru/dnevnik-ezhena-delakrua/

Tags

See also

New and interesting