Mysterious signals from space turned interference from microwave ovens

Photo: Stephen West i>

Modern radio telescopes used by astronomers to study the cosmos, so precise and sensitive that they can detect the smallest signals. And, as it turned out, such signals may come not only from cosmic objects located thousands of light years from Earth. The source of such signals may be terrestrial devices, particularly microwaves.

Scientists working with Australia's largest radio telescope Parkes, 17 received some strange signals, about once or twice a year. For the first time these signals, called "peritonitis", were received in 1998. To honor the scholars, I must say that almost immediately it was suggested terrestrial origin "peritonitis." The fact that the signal did not come from a certain part of the space, and were everywhere at once, with the entire sky. Scientists have determined that the signal source - some atmospheric phenomena (maybe lightning). It turned out that the cause of even more banal.

Photo: Ian Waldie / Getty Images i>

The source of the mysterious signal оказалась microwave , installed in the back room. In operation, the microwave was not any signals. But if the door open until the completion of the microwave oven, and then the generated interference. Why are the signals taken only once or twice a year, and in the afternoon (for Australia) time of day?

Everything is explained simply. The fact that the telescope is controlled remotely by astronomers working with the system, do not live in Parkes. However, at the observatory working equipment that serve the entire system, and these people use a microwave. The signals are taken only if the radio telescope is directed towards a microwave oven, and the oven is operating (and premature opening of the door) to coincide with the mode of operation of the system.

Source: geektimes.ru/post/250184/

Tags

See also

New and interesting