Bummer live Apple

A live webcast of the presentation and the iPhone 6 Apple Watch from the start has not worked. Many users, including myself, have had problems with her photo. Initially, I have sinned problems cloud service Akamai , but research page from Apple revealed that most of the problems arose from the fact, how they are configured Amazon S3 and something which the other elements of the site.

Unlike the previous live, this time they decided using JSON add interactivity to the page, and display the tweets related to the event, at the bottom of the page. As a result, this page has been updated several times per second. Because of the decision to use JSON ( approx. Pens. - It seems to me that the author confuses JSON and Ajax i>) site no longer cached. Typically, Apple uses Akamai for caching of such broadcasts, but this time it was impossible to cache the page, which led to a strong subsidence speed of loading pages and display the video. And since Apple insert a video into a page, the page led to brake brakes video. In Akamai did not want to comment on this issue, but judging by the code page, they still could not take her cache. Because of this, I have also fallen Safari, when I tried to open the page with the presentation on the iPad.

Because of all these updates pages player had artificially low quality video because on the server side there were too many requests. Besides Apple mistake and broadcast via Akamai video with the wrong sound track, so the first 27 minutes of the video went on a foreign (for the author) language. Someone from Apple did wrong video, besides they still observed desync sound and pictures. Also, I think I caught a moment when Apple had to reboot the server once, encode video, already after the presentation started - because of this get out errors like "can not load video" and "no access rights».

Studying the metadata page, you can set that Apple cloud service is hosted on Amazon S3. Apparently, Apple put the content in one bucket , with virtually no margin for load growth, and properly configure it. Amazon has not commented on this issue, but it's clear that Apple improperly configured storage S3, whereby experienced problems with the speed, because all requests go to one location.

Akamai was the only CDN , which was used in Apple. It showed traceroute from various points of the planet. And since they did not have the ability to cache the broadcast page, its performance greatly decreased. If you can not cache the page at the peripheral server cloud service, all requests are sent to a central server, which is why lost all sense of the distributed network. The figure plots obtained from a third-party service Cedexis, seen falling availability of Akamai servers in Western Europe from 100% to 96.5% during the broadcast.

According to the obtained data from different sources, in the peak of broadcast video presentations held in the channel 6-8 Tbps. For comparison, broadcast the World Cup held in the peak of 6.8 Tbps. So no extraordinary loads CDN not experienced.

Outcome: video encoding, broadcast, javascript, video, the only server on S3 and constant refresh the page and led to numerous problems of presentation. One could blame the CDN, but as you can see, this was not the main reason - just the action was poorly planned and executed.

Source: habrahabr.ru/post/236905/

Tags

See also

New and interesting