Amazon removed the book from the large number of hyphens

The really strange thing happened with the writer Graham Reynolds (Graeme Reynolds). His e-book was removed from the online store Amazon for ... чрезмерное Use hyphens !

It all started with a complaint of one of the buyers of the fact that "some of the words in the book too often hyphenated».

Leave aside the fact that there are indeed people who write complaints on this occasion. But Reynolds paid almost $ 2000 for professional editing of the book before publication.

We are talking about a novel about werewolves «High Moor 2: Madness» . However, that is not the story, you never know what books are published. The bottom line is that the company is seriously apprehended Amazon customer complaints and conducted a "linguistic examination" by the spell-checker.

It turned out terrible: more than 100 words in the novel of 90,000 words contain hyphens.

December 12, 2014 Reynolds received a letter from Amazon with the results of the examination and notice that such statistics are "significantly affects the readability" and, as a result, "we remove a book because of the cumulative effect on our customers».

It is worth mentioning that the book 18 months since the release of more than 100 positive reviews. But it did not affect the decision to Amazon.

The writer tried to object. He wrote that "the use of a hyphen to bind together the two words fully complies with the English language." But grammar-nazis from Amazon were relentless: "As the quality of your books have a negative impact on the enjoyment of reading, we remove the novel from sale until these issues are resolved ... When you correct words with hyphens, please re-publish the book and make it available for sale.

Graham Reynolds in his blog pays tribute to Amazon for concern about the quality of content in the online store, but recommends better pay attention to a thousand 10-page electronic "books" that are automatically generated from the free content (eg, Wikipedia) and put up for sale.

Fortunately, the story got a great response - and Amazon returned the book in its original form.

By the way, among the comments in the first place now released a review of a Duke Leffler: "I liked the book, but I hope this version without hyphens. I read the editorial with hyphens couple of weeks ago - and spent a week in intensive care. I refused the liver and kidneys, and the doctor advised to take as many words without hyphens, if I want to live. "

Source: geektimes.ru/post/243407/

Tags

See also

New and interesting