One on one with the sky

... I almost lay in his cabin, which fits like my whole body, leaving room only for a small movement of hands and feet. I reject the handle to the side, gently press on the pedal and feel as he smoothly enters into a spiral and a small vibration begins to lift me higher and higher to the soft cumulus clouds. And all around - only the wind whistling and no one else ... You're one on one with him and with the vast and beautiful sky ... with your sky ...

But it all began in the late 80s. While finishing high school, I do not remember how, learned that in Tushino, you can learn to fly a real glider. And without a moment's thought - the students enrolled in the SPC (planёrnoy Junior School). Started as expected with many hours of theory. Classes are held in classes if I am not mistaken somewhere on Novoslobodskaya in the lower basement of the old house. There I first saw my first glider, which had to be trained. It was a single 14 Lac "Strazdas" (translated from the Baltic - thrush), similar in design to the BRO-11 (brooch). In class we talked about the basics of flight and aerodynamics. We studied the device gliders, flying elements, equipment, airfields etc. and as it should be passed on throughout the course exams ...

After the theory classes began at the airfield in Tushino. I remember that originally were just sitting in the cabs turned upwind varnishes and tried to handle the motion as long as possible to keep the glider from zavalivanija wing. There is certainly a lot depended on the wind. As the device run on the ZIL used with a winch instead of a body ...

(Tushino, winch-based ZIL, photo Andrei Ivanov)

The day begins with the unwinding of the rope winch, marking the start flags and static exercise in the cockpit. Head made a test flight in a circle for weather reconnaissance. Originally put restraints on the wings that are not allowed to fly the glider, and with them you should have run. The task - to keep the glider on the course and speed of the roll. All the students were in the books, flight which appears to perform exercises for evaluation and their number. After reaching is started jogging. With spoilers on the wings had to fly in a straight line at a height of 6 meters and land. The task is not an easy tell. In an open cockpit you sit alone, and help you, no one can. Much depended on the personal data of children. Of course there were also falling, but no injuries, broken only by the wings of a hard landing. As a result, by the beginning fly in circles serviceable airframes almost gone) It was there, at the airport in the SPC and the first time I saw the Blanik - silver, huge (then to me) a graceful bird. And not only seen, but also makes the export flight instructor ...
And then there were the university entrance exam with a terrible lack of time and the collapse of the Union. Close, and SPC ...

(Tushino, SPC, photo from the 2nd Moscow Aeroclub)

... And here I am on the 2nd Moscow Aeroclub. In the hands - given on day jam certificate "flight in a glider» ...

(All photos are clickable to 1600, push!)

Meet the flying club, but my head is still more clearly appear fuzzy feeling distant time of the first flight on the Blahnik ...

Life at the airport in Pakhomov boils in the morning. Blahnik are placed on start ...

Towing heated motors ...

The Yak-52 is already reeling from the following pilotazhnikami ...

And I'm going to the airframe. My instructor, Mikhail Lebedev, asks me how much I knew Blahnik. SPC and answer more questions to me no))
I put on a parachute and gets in the cab. Closely with the habit, probably in his youth, as expected, everything seemed great;)

Taxied "Wilga" tow tether fastened and taut, after the report of RP and permit begin takeoff ...

So far we go in the set - I admire the views drop around Zaoksky spaces ...

Keeping tasks on takeoff flight parameters and retain the required distance from the tow engaged Michael, allowing me to keep photographing ...

PZL-104 Wilga (PZL-104 Wilga, translated as "Oriole") - Polish lightweight sports training aircraft. First flew in 1962. In the Soviet Union began to operate in DOSAAF in 1973 for towing gliders. This aircraft is exported to 20 countries and is still rising in the sky gliders ...

Round and round we recruit the desired height ...

Weather pleases. In the sky with cumulus clouds quite dark bottom, the most it to search for updrafts that airframe one of the necessary conditions for long-term presence in the air ...

The cabin is quiet enough, compared to piston aircraft cabin, just the wind whistling, as if you go by car with the window ajar ...

The rise of the towing takes a few minutes ...

Finally the pilot "Wilga" tells us about the readiness for uncoupling ...

Dana team and Michael pulls over a yellow knob on the dashboard ...

"Wilga" nods wings goodbye and quickly goes down on the landing ...

Piloting "Wilga" Alexander Muhtalov flight instructor flying club. We continue to move slightly after her ...

And then Michael takes Blahnik in turn, and we started free flight ...

Comes closer to the cumulus clouds, which are assembled in a row, stretching a good distance ...

Under our second "Wilga" disengaged from the "33rd". In the cockpit glider - cadet Maria, her first solo flight today, accompany her eyes and good luck! ...

We approach the apparently already caught updraft Nikolai Davidov. Built in a short time his tail and look what he found here ...)

Well then came my turn. Michael shows the correct position of the horizon relative to the nose of the airframe, and passes control to me ...

First time doing a few bends in different directions, getting used to the movement of the reaction Blahnik pen. Roll has a delay affects a large elongation of planes. But on the pitch opposite - all very sharply.
Twist spiral listening recommendations instructor possible location in the search "thermals". What pleasantly pleased - it is an opportunity to communicate in a cabin without intercoms ...

Slowly but surely moving along the ridge kuchёvok and even dial 150 meters altitude. The flows are weak, to +2, narrow and elongated. Approaching the next cloud begins to feel an enhanced vibration and twitching. We are fortunate to have caught a strong updraft, but only a very small, I can not cope with this. Michael quickly takes control and just a few turns of flies into the bottom edge of the cloud! ...

Arrows vario indicates +4 fantastic !!)

Around gets a little cooler and damp. Hover just below the rim. I again take control and has little understanding about where thermals may be, try to find it. It is not easy, especially in the first flight, of course distracted by the management, and not standing before me such a task. Himself flight completely occupies all thoughts glider begins to obey, even though I still, at times, turn up their noses and so often glancing at the pointer speed. But all this comes with the training course, but for now just absorb sensations, enjoying themselves ...
flight

Until we catch updrafts Wilga in turn approach and again, with gliders, rise into the sky ...

At the helm of "unity" - Andrew Prokudin - universal pilot!) Glider towing, hang gliders, flight instructor, and recently received training and SSJ-100 ...

Cadets their programs, someone flying in a circle ...

Well, someone has to aerobatics ...

From the earth gently interested, have we forgotten about the time and accurately, the conversations really flies ...))

Time in the sky just runs quietly, releasing spoilers and Michael starts to decrease in the area of ​​the airfield ...

Direct access to the embarkation - report RP, landing gear, landing in the outermost gate ...

The wind does not disturb you, go smoothly and beautifully ...

Landing at low level - a spectacular final touch ihaila from my memory, very exciting! Thank you Mish! ;)

Flying over, feeling - just the sea) tells greeting the about how to find a stream of 4-ku, and all around good-naturedly laughed, knowing my emotions and state))
At the airport, and even more so at the flying club, except for airplanes and fly of course, one of the most important - is communication. And that's when it is simple and open, and then the heart becomes easy and clean and all of our city's troubles and negative go to the farthest plan ...

(Commander and instructors "conjure" over the planned flight table, a photo from a page of the aerodrome "Pakhomovo" in fb)

Planting alternate with ups, students work out flight tasks on the training program ...

Flying gliders in Pakhomovo held from May to mid October. And yet there are serene days are all trying to be more in the sky ...

LATEST:
Each indifferent to human aviation own point of the report, which began its path in the sky. I - it's just a glider. It is from that distant aeroklubnoy youth and all apparently began. It is no coincidence considering the footage from a camera mounted on the wing of Blahnik, as a final touch to this story, I chose this, the essence of which Mikhail Lebedev sounded to me as soon as they saw it. I hope that you see it;)

p.s. Many thanks to Mikhail Lebedev, Andrei Prokudin, Alexander Muhtalovu, Alexey Karpenko and personally Alexander Sergeyevich Kazarina for spiritual communion and for superbly conducted by day!
And a special thank you - my son, for the excellent air to air footage of this story;)

Source

Tags

See also

New and interesting