20 things in the USA, for Europeans

The Englishman has lived in the US for 8 years and has compiled a list of 20 things which he could not get used.
No zadornovschiny only monitoring that enable them to better understand the culture and daily life.
Where mention the little-known in Russia, points are given notes.
1. The size of servings in catering.
They are huge.

2. Everywhere American flags. EVERYWHERE.
* Patriotism is cultivated in the United States from kindergarten to the cemetery. Flags are posted not only in state institutions but also in private homes, banks, shops, etc.
Every sports match begins with a joint performance of the anthem of the United States, children are in school every morning start with the US Pledge of Allegiance (see. P.19). Publicly expressing dissatisfaction with the US political system, to put it mildly, is not accepted.

3. The price tags in stores without sales tax.
It is not gonna break goods at the box office, the purchase amount will not know.
* In the US, each state has its own sales tax (sales tax) - 0% (Montana, Delaware) to 7, 5% (CA).
In principle, the shops would not be worth anything to point to the price list, taking into account the amount of local taxes, but most do not.

4. Tipping.
It is extremely difficult to understand how much it is normal to leave "tea».

5. Advertising of drugs sold by prescription only.
TV advertising is replete with "Ask your doctor to prescribe an antidepressant such and such!". In Britain, the doctor tells you what pills to take, and not vice versa.

6. All enchanted by cars.

7. A huge amount of advertising on TV during its mediocre quality.

8. Cheese aerosol.
Of course, I tried it once, but it looks like garbage cancer!

9. One of my friends Italian, who arrived in the United States is very tense on the manner of Americans hold a conversation with the phrase "Seriously?» (Oh, really?) He took it as a personal challenge to his point of view, and by the end of hours of conversation, he was red as a lobster, that is. k. This phrase was repeated again 20. In fact, it's just a polite expression of interest: "It is interesting to continue ...»

10. Toilets are set very low and under the doors of cabins huge gaps - all perfectly clear.
You sent a man to the moon but can not build toilets, where you can take a shit in solitude? America, this must have something to do.

11. pickles.
Americans are ready to eat them with anything. There's even deep fried!

12. I found a very strange attitude of Americans toward American football player in college as a real celebrity.
For their every move being watched, they have fans, they are interviewed on TV.
But damn, it's just the students involved in extracurricular activities! I do not understand.

13. Go to the wrong place - a crime?
I have repeatedly crossed the road where I was comfortable - not knowing that it is illegal.
* Depending on the state, the penalty for a wrong transition road can reach $ 1,000 to the subpoena.
But if you do not jump out onto the road directly under the wheels, usually no one in the court did not drag.
In England in general no punishment for it is not provided.

14. Why does the bread in America so sweet?
Bread for sandwiches, rolls for hamburgers - sweet like a cake. But when you talk about this to the Americans, they do not understand what the problem is - they are used to such bread from his childhood.

15. Soft drinks flow freely almost nothing.
In McDonalds you get for a dollar a giant cup, plus you can refill it for free and without restrictions!
Even in a restaurant if your glass is half empty Coke, a waiter will bring you a new one. At first I said, "Hey, I did not order!", Until I realized that it's free.

16. Americans are very loud. But friendly.

17. In your toilets a lot of water!
Seriously, why so much?

18. It is extremely careless attitude to credit card security.
On signing no one is watching, do not ask to enter PINs.
* In the United States, as the pioneers of the plastic bank cards still prevalent cards with a magnetic strip alone, without chip (chip invented in Europe) and one much about this is not strained.

19. Pledge of Allegiance US really annoying.
I know most Americans pronounce it, because they are so accustomed to the school, but if you listen - you will be at ease from the children, muttering these words.
* The text of the oath, which begins every school day at each school and kindergarten USA:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.»
In some states, due to lawsuits from the text of the oath was removed references to God in all the remaining states in the old way.

Curious thing: originally the oath uttered with "Bellamy salute" (see. Picture).
In 1942, this gesture was changed to latch arms to the heart.

20. Publicity lawyers everywhere. In the style of Saul Goodman.
* Saul Goodman - character Breaking Bad, muddy lawyer promises to pull out from any railway.
The name is built on harmony with the phrase «It's all good, man» («All right, dude," "Bob Vprodyakin»)

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting