'Black Thursday' strategic aviation

April 12, 1951, Colonel Kozhedub led the battle of Soviet fighter aviation division

In the skies over the Korean peninsula, Soviet pilots fought under false names. Form of them were Chinese, and personal documents did not have any pictures. Here is what those ancient events Hero of the Soviet Union Sergei Kramarenko.

At the beginning of October 1950 an event occurred that changed the peaceful and regular life of our aviation regiment. One day, the commander of the club gathered all pilots. The podium Red'kin General, Deputy Commander of the Moscow Military District of aviation (at that time commanded by General Aviation District Vasily Stalin). He briefly spoke about the difficult struggle of the Communists of North Korea against imperialism, reported that the US Air Force napalm burn towns and villages that long-suffering country, destroys civilian population. In conclusion, he said that the North Korean government has asked the government of the Soviet Union with a request to assist in the difficult struggle with the American aircraft. 'The Soviet government agreed to satisfy the request of the Democratic People's Republic - the general said, and after a pause said, - who from pilots wishing to travel to North Korea to volunteer?' All as one, raised their hands. General expressed his gratitude for responsiveness, I said goodbye and left.

Command has selected 32 pilots, mainly from among the participants of the Great Patriotic War. Volunteers gathered in three squadrons. I was appointed deputy commander of the 3rd Squadron, led by Hero of the Soviet Union Alexander Vasko.

The commander of our group, which was named the 324th Fighter Air Division, was appointed as a brilliant pilot, outstanding ace of World War II, three times Hero of the Soviet Union, Colonel Ivan Kozhedub.

The first fight

April 2, 1951 as part of the aviation unit (two pairs of planes), I took off to intercept the jet reconnaissance B-45. Link raised too late and we saw the enemy group as a part of the Scout B-45 and F-8 planes 86 'Sabres' going on the counter-intersecting courses at 1000-1500 meters above us. But despite the fact that we were at a disadvantage, I decided to attack the Americans. Lead our second pair Lazutin captain managed to take a comfortable position five hundred meters from the bottom and rear of the scout. But the attack on the scout did not work, the aircraft saw us, he added, the gas and went to his home.

We were attacked 'Sabres'. I had to give them all from a distance, so as not to bring down the LOA, which, after a failed attempt to attack the B-45 was far below. Aircraft sharply gone up. At this point the couple attacked my second link 'Sabres'. The leading group went to the tail of my slave Sergei Rodionov and quickly became close to him, ready at any moment to open fire from all its six heavy machine guns. Realizing that do not have time to repel the attack, giving the command to make a coup Rodionov. Rodionov immediately fulfilled the command and went literally from under the nose 'Sabre'. Make a right turn with a reduction, I found myself in a good position behind this 'Sabre' and from a distance of 400-500 meters opened fire on him. The route passed before the 'Sabre' and several shells exploded on the fuselage. Sabre immediately stop the persecution, he turned under me and went down.

At this point, I fell on top of the second pair of 'Sabres', but I left right turn out of the attack. They tried to follow me, but Rodionov proved to be behind the pair and opened fire on the Americans than forcing them to stop the attack. After this 'Sabres' left for the scout. We chased up the coastline, for which we were forbidden to enter.

'ALL RISE!'

April 12, as usual, arrived at dawn at the airport. They saw the aircraft. Standby unit was ready number 1 (4 pilot in the airplane ready for immediate take-off), the rest of the pilot or the aircraft is located at the rest in the vicinity of the airport. Suddenly came the team: everyone to be ready to take off. We do not have time to get on a plane as followed: 'All the launch and take-off'.

One after another, 'MiG' began to taxi to the runway. Squadron took off first, then the second, then our third. I led six aircraft was in a cover band. Our task - not to enemy fighters attacking front two squadrons that make up the strike team, whose main objective - to attack enemy bombers and attack aircraft.

Following our regiment, Lieutenant Colonel who led Vishnyakov, he took to the air and the regiment lieutenant colonel Pepelyaeva. It was the first time that Kozhedub raised in the air all the combat-ready planes of our division. On the ground, there was only a couple of duty.

Subsequently, Colonel Kozhedub told me that on that day with radar, it was reported the discovery of a large group of enemy aircraft heading towards our airfield. He pointed out that the speed of the flight of this group was small - about 500 km / h. Focusing on speed (at the speed of fighter planes was usually 700-800 km / h), it is understood that a large group of bombers flying, and therefore decided to reflect this massive raid should be raised in the air all the fighters of the division. The decision was risky, but it turned out to be absolutely correct.

Once at altitude, trying to catch up with the front of the squadron, I increased the pace. Come to climb to the north. Below us, the mountains, to the right - a narrow blue ribbon of water. This is the Yalu River. Behind it - North Korea. The height of 5000 meters. Polk begins smooth turn right. I increase the roll, cut a U-turn, due to the smaller radius catch the front group and takes its place at about 500-600 meters behind the strike group.

We cross the river and go to the south. From the command post reported that the meet 50 km is a large group of enemy aircraft. The height of 7000 meters. I dialed just in case another 500 meters above the strike group. Battle formation busy.

Soon leading our regiment passed: 'Ahead of the enemy at the bottom of the left'. I look down to the left. Towards the left and below, flying bombers - two sets of huge gray machine. This is the famous American "flying fortresses" B-29. Each car takes on board 30 tons of bombs, is armed with eight heavy machine guns. Bombers fly diamonds of 4 units of 3 aircraft, with 12 aircraft in the group. Then another 3 diamond. They were behind 2-3 km, and just above us fly dozens of fighters, a cloud of gray-green machines. About a hundred 'Thunderjet' and 'Shuting Starov'.

Catherine Wheel

The regimental commander gives the command: "We attack, cover! ' - And starts a left turn with a sharp decline. Percussion group - eighteen 'MiG' - rush him down. Enemy fighters are behind and above our attacking aircraft. The most dangerous moment. Now is the time for us to fight.

Group cover is necessary to hold down enemy fighters, and by linking their fight, distract from the protection of their bombers. I give the command to the slave, 'Turn left, attack!' - And begin a sharp turn to the left with a slight climb. It turns out from behind and below the leading group of American fighters, in their very midst. Quickly I aim and open fire on the front plane of the group. The first stage takes place just behind the second covers it. He flipped his plane out of the nozzle is bluish-white smoke. 'Thunderjet' cool, goes down.

Americans by surprise, not knowing who they are attacked, and what forces were taken aback. But it did not last long. Here is one of them gives me at least, the route passes above the plane, but heading into me Rodionov and Lazutin with their slaves, seeing that I was in danger, opened it and other aircraft fire. Seeing the front of the track, the Americans turned away, and I get the opportunity to fire on the next plane, but at this moment in front of me takes the track. I look back: one of the 'Thunderjet' shoots a hundred meters. At this point, it passes through the trail of shells aerogun LOA. Several shells exploded on the plane. 'Thunderjet' cease fire, turns and goes down.

Before the new route of the aircraft nose. I strongly grab handle on. The aircraft carries something unthinkable, or corkscrew spiral high-speed, or the barrel, and I find myself back at the bottom and under the 'Thunderjet'. Attack of the 'Thunderjet' below, but it takes a sharp turn to the left. I slipped past the two 'Americans'. Rodionov shoots at him. They abruptly turn around and go down. We go over them up. I looked down. We are located just above the bombers. Our 'MiG' shot 'flying sverhkreposti'. One wing has fallen off, and it falls apart in the air three or four cars are burning. Jumping out of the burning bomber crews, dozens of parachutes hanging in the air. It seems that thrown paratroopers.

And the fight is gaining momentum. Vishnyakov chose purpose aircraft leading the group, but at rapprochement with the formation of bombers came under fire from machine-gun units marching behind several slave bombers. His plane just ran into a wall of the track and he was forced to withdraw from the attack. Meanwhile distraction fire the entire group bomber aircraft Vishnjakova took advantage of a couple of 'MiG' Scheberstova and Hessia, followed the pair Vishnjakova. Their 'MiG' almost seamlessly moved closer to the driven bombers of the first link, and from a distance of about 600 meters Scheberstov opened fire from all three guns on the extreme bombers. Exploding shells covered bomber. Since they were projectiles explosive action, their explosions caused great destruction aircraft. Especially huge, several square meters, there were holes in the planes of the shells 37-millimeter guns.

Several shells hit the bomber engines. Of these, long pulled the flames and smoke. Bomber whirled, broke down with the reduction and, in flames, began to decline to the south. From it people began to jump. The second pair of Hessia attacked last plane of the second link. Several bursts flashed 'fortress'. The plane caught fire and rushed down.

EXTERMINATION

The second squadron of planes attacked the closing of the first group of bombers. She has acted in more favorable conditions, as the system was broken bombers. The two B-29 aircraft were burning in front of the whole group of pilots. Suchkov, the squadron which was slightly to the right commander, attacked the right link. Trying to open fire with a minimum distance Suchkov not in a hurry and pulled the trigger, when the bomber wings shut almost all the sights, and immediately began a sharp lapel. The bomber erupted and began to roll. From it came off the wing, and he's burning, went down.

Milaushkin, coming a couple of the main group, behind, and at this point has been attacked by the bombers had come up to the element 'Sabres'. Missed the start of the attack of our group, they are now trying to recoup closing. Coming oblique loop out of the fire 'Sabres' Milaushkin continued to pursue the group 'fortresses', and saw that one of the links has lagged behind the group attacked him, passing the slave - Boris Obraztsova:

- Attack of the lead, you hit the right.

Convergence occurred rapidly in the sight quickly grew bomber. After opening fire on the fuselage and the engines 'fortress' there exploding shells. 'Fortress' I puffed and began to decline. The second 'fortress' for which shooting Samples, also caught fire.

Crews began to jump out of planes shot down, the others turned back. Then another four padded 'flying fortress' fell on the way home, or broken on the ground. Then it was captured about 100 American pilots.

After the fight, almost every one of our 'MiG' found at 1, 2, 3 holes. One had 100 holes. But there was no major damage in the cockpit no bullet could hit.

That day, April 11, the Americans have called 'Black Tuesday' and then three months did not fly. We tried to make another raid, but if in the first fight were shot down 12 B-29, in the second we have already destroyed 16 'Flying Fortresses'.

Overall, in the three years of the Korean War it was shot down 170 B-29 bombers. The Americans lost the main force of its strategic aviation, located on the south-eastern theater of war. During the day they no longer flew only at night single aircraft. But we beat them at night.

The Americans then for a long time have not received the shock of their bombers, which were considered the most powerful, the most invulnerable, proved vulnerable to Soviet fighters. And we are after the first battles became known as' flying fortress' flying sheds' - so fast it caught fire and burned brightly.

On the Great Patriotic War from August 1942. Sergei Kramarenko down 3 enemy planes in person and 10 - in the group. Destroyed balloon-spotter. Member of the Korean War from April 1951 to February 1952. He flew 149 sorties in the aerial battles personally shot down 13 enemy aircraft. Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet on October 10, 1951 for the successful fulfillment of the command and displaying courage and bravery Guard Captain Sergei Kramarenko Makarovich awarded the title Hero of the Soviet Union and the Order of Lenin and medal "Gold Star '(№ 9283). In 1970, he worked as a military adviser in Iraq and Algeria. Since 1981, Air Force Major General Kramarenko - in stock. Honored veteran continues to lead an active social work. He is an honorary professor of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences, the deputy chairman of the Club of Heroes of the Soviet Union, Heroes of the Russian Federation and Full Cavaliers of the Order of Glory, a member of the People's Patriotic Association 'Homeland'.

©

Tags

See also

New and interesting