Friendship your request

Even in the expedition I've heard wonderful rumors: in a small village at Cape Schmidt, on the shore of the Chukchi Sea, lived a brave and prickly guy named Nicholas Machulyak. He joined the gang, which is engaged in the harvesting of marine animals, but their share is not often takes valuable pelts and almost unnecessary Nerpichiya meat; made friends with the white-bear, goes to visit her, condensed milk feeding, playing with her cubs and so tamed the beast, that he takes it almost as a ...

In August, our field season came to an end. ATV threw a party to the Cape Schmidt, and while there was time before the next flight, "the mainland", I decided to check the veracity of these rumors.

Nicholas lived by the sea, in a small house, the passage of which were completely demolished by ice. They were piled up to the roof, threatening to flatten over time, uncomplicated home. Boss, I think it is not very worried. He frankly mocking gaze bored into me, I said with an effort, in monosyllables, and the conversation our first flagged. I had understood his prickliness: since due Medvedev Nikolai became a prominent figure on the Cape Schmidt, got into the habit to walk to it all, who more or less has a pen and a tape recorder.

Upon learning that I was from geopartii, Machulyak calmed down.

- Volodya, - he said a warmer voice - read this book. What is not clear - ask. And I'll tell ...

- In December 1974, a Chukchi hunter killed the white bear, destroy it yaranga. After it was Pestun - a young bear, which I fed the five months: hunt she has not yet learned. Her name was Masha. In the spring of 1975 she was gone, and almost a year later I saw her again.

- So just saw?

- Well, I not saw, and felt the first: someone looking at me. Directly touching sight. Toros white, white bear, two eyes coals. Suddenly the bear catches up to me. Often a person can not unravel the intentions of the beast, but here I felt that this is not an attack. All bears are usually for one person ... but then realized - Masha! I stopped her wand movement. Always wear a stick with him. Easy, sixty centimeters.

- Well, Masha?

- Masha was in disbelief - it was clear from her face, at the request of a stick to get around, close to me. She obviously recognized me ... And yet it was scary. After 11 months have passed since our last meeting. I immediately brought the meat from the trap. She willingly ate. Dates glance, look in the diary ...

«25.II.76. Today went to Masha. 10 cans of condensed milk. Milk eating from a jar of hand. Not aggressive. I opened the pot in one motion hunting knife, so there was no burrs.

27.II. He brought 10 kilograms of seal.

28.II. Maria was waiting. Tried to iron - do not permit.

29.I. The sea is very poor this year. Pestsov scored only two. Bears probably still will be coming through Long Strait. They say at Cape Blossom of multitudes.

1.III. Today, I work, I can not come. Miss.

3.III. He came with his father. He greeted Masha paw. It allows you to go next. It means something.

5.III. Some parrots Masha dogs. Nowhere do not. Strongly purzhit, it makes no sense to look for ».

- By the way, the dog - a strong opponent for a polar bear?

- I do not think. In my opinion, Masha did not engage them in a fight simply because they do not -hotela violate our relations. Winterers the island Kolyuchin told that they have eleven dogs attacked the bear, and he dealt with everyone, almost without having any visible damage. The sharp disparity in force. Well, the bike and the tank. A bear - an experienced fighter. One day, two years ago, I saw him motion paws ditched again two or three attackers dogs. Dogs can only stop a bear that man took it ... Mary is very strong. A small bear, just 150 kilograms, but simply left paw moved the 300-pound Toros when I purposely poddalblival ice seals and hid there.

- Masha've always been waiting for?

- Probably. But in the open just twice. Usually, she appeared on the leeward side, and always unexpected.

"March 8. Women's Day. Gifts for Masha much. I took sugar carefully pulled his lips.

9-13.III. Blizzard ».

- Kohl, apparently, you're out of all animals distinguish the bears? Is this true?

- Not certainly in that way. But polar bears love ... They have different charges: that something had eaten there destroyed, brutally crushed dogs, pilfer supplies. Of course, the polar bear - a dangerous animal, but usually it is not deterred without sufficient grounds. Or you came close to a den, or has violated the rules of the hunt. Stories of aggression - largely fabrications "hunters", the shooters for cans.

- Have you seen a lot of polar bears?

- At different times - seven. But I never crossed that line of security that they like to spend; In addition, observe the chain of command, or something. After all, they are the rulers of ice. The whole earth is not true, stronger predator polar bear. It is two and a half times heavier than our prostetskogo brown bears ... And if the bear does not want to join with me in any relationship, I digress once, but do not hurry, be sure to face him and do my best to stay calm.

- Manage?

- Alive, however.

- Now, tell me. Why to Masha, you know that two years approached with caution?

- The beast has a beast. But every time I tune themselves before the meeting. I mentally say to Masha, and not only she, but bear any "Friendship your request. That advance is my hand - palm up, no weapons, Bank of condensed milk in it, you love. You are beautiful, strong and kind to me the beast. I want to have a friend in you, and in friendship or rather I will not ».

- And the bears feel it?

- Read more.

«14.III. He came to the car lair, carrying the meat. Instead Masha came out of the den hefty bear skinny, ragged, yellow, and he ran straight at me. Barely drove it with a stick. Meat took and ate, but it was shaking the whole ».

- What happened?

- Probably, Marya Mikhailovna, I named a hefty bear, Masha kicked out of the den; She was older and stronger. Also I had more right to "living space", since I suspected that she already has cubs.

- Scared?

- Strangely enough, no. Rather surprised, even offended. I say, to you with the good, with meat, though his Masha carry it, and you ... brutalized eyes, stood up on its hind legs ... I looked to the left leg, about to crack. Bears are left handed ... because then moved backwards, the eyes of the country; eats, however, and batters, batters it. I went home like a statue. House has sat down, legs shaking, zaboyalsya.

- So, the bear is very thin feels the nuances of human relationships?

- In my opinion, yes.

«18.III. He wore meat. Closer than eight meters Marya M. does not admit.

19.III. He wore walrus meat. Eating poorly. Worn seals, eating poorly.

20.III. He comes with a photographer. Chase, barely stopped the stick. Differing so I'm going backwards, Mary M. is doing the same.

25.III. The authorities looked at Marya Mikhailovna of the office through a telescope. Terrified that close den. Where is Masha?

26.III. Today, though, and was angry, and took the meat out of hand. I went to look for Masha.

28.III. Apparently, Maria M. den struggled with some brand new. Around pieces of wool, broken ice. Mary M. klochkastaya.

1.IV. Warm day. Maria M. was already waiting at the den. Fast, but not aggressively approached two meters. Again he brought again approached.

2.IV. I work, sometimes watching through binoculars. Mary M. all glances in the direction of the village.

3.IV. Fed, photographed, came with his father.

4.IV. We drove up in a jeep to the lair of eight people - with carbines, just in case. Mary M. visitors did not take - did not come out to them.

7.IV. The third day after his arrival vezdehodchikov Mary M. left the old den. All these days looking for her. I found already seaward, a kilometer away from the village. Rather, it found. I went on the side, behind - I did not notice how ».

- Kohl, describe Marya Mikhailovna, what is it?

- Well, a healthy, 300 kilograms, can be seen along the trail. Very independent, powerful - otela. Food took even greedily, but as a tribute, as if doing a favor. To my father I reacted with patient neglect. Posture overbearing, conscious of its strength, nee Princess. My parish began to take for granted ...

«8.IV. Marya Mikhailovna found with two cubs. It is not allowed. Meat left for a hundred meters. He said: "Mary M., dine myastsa, a seal liver, because you love her».

9.IV. Marya Mikhailovna remove from afar on film.

11.IV. This invasion. Val knocked watch "and bears. However, while from afar.

15.IV. I approach me directly. The cubs were kept at a distance.

16.IV. My wife swears. Good, says will not end ...

18.IV. Today, for the first time Mary M. allowed to approach the bear. I say hello to them for a "hand." Climbs to indulge. The second (probably female) clinging to his mother.

19.IV. Mary M. ate moss, although the meat was. And generally do not eat any beef or venison, sea animals only.

21.IV. Someone fired a pistol and brought dogs. Cartridge cases, traces. Maria M. will desire to be dissatisfied.

22.IV. Den dug deeper into the sea.

24.IV. She returned to the old place. It requires condensed milk and sugar. Climbed into the den, where the litter of white wool. Bear climbs on his back, on his head. Mary M. jealous.

29.IV. These days there's a lot of people, and I go with them, because many are Marya Mikhailovna lightly, and yet she did not hand protein. Happen, giving someone accidentally - in fact shoot. Houses almost never happens. My wife is jealous ».

Once upon a time we had to say goodbye, but I still did not go away, nedosprosil, seen something.

- Listen, and what the fate of Masha?

Nicholas turned away, paused, and some wooden voice, as if pushing a word language, he said:

- I do not know. Two months after her disappearance someone shot a small bear. Zoom Masha and Masha could grow during this time; but the skin is yellowish, and Masha was snow-white. At least for a moment his eyes opened to ... I'm very sorry not insisted at the time - not tied to her neck red belt. Masha was in fact trusting ...

- But she could turn yellow?

- No! - He turned sharply. - No! No! - Pain and hope he almost shouted.

The local hotel and Aeroflotskaya "Annushka" during the flight I kept thinking about Nicholas and tried on something, its behavior over.

I remembered the two pilots Spit, where the helicopter had seen a bear hunt for seals. Golden sun. From the slowness of the beast was gone. It was all in the wreath rapid and violent muscle, all in unbridled delight of attack - power plastic that can explode a lightning strike.

I thought of sticky fear his first hunt Kamchatka bear-korovoubiytsu and carabiner, dance in my hand, and introduced himself a small wand in the hands of Nicholas ...

© Filimonov Cape Schmidt

hence

Other photos

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting