Back in the GDR 22 years later

We left East Germany in 1988, writes skitalac. A year after the fall of the Wall and the country ceased to exist. Even a couple of years and did not samoy_bolshoy_strany_v_mire, events spun at great speed, and 22 years passed like one day. Childhood clearly divided into "before" and "after" - do not even compare what was "out there" in 1987 and "here" is only a couple of years later.

When I remember this carefree time, I always dreamed that one day will come back to these places and walk through the streets, Karl-Marx-Stadt. And this moment has come - when we came to Germany to visit a good friend of the institute, I could not miss the chance to go there, where more than 20 years ago, tinkering in the sandbox and dissected on a tricycle. Under the cut - nostalgic memories of the GDR-ovskom childhood.

30 pictures in a mixture of old and new

1. In the picture on top of my brother and I are waiting for the school bus. The school was one, and she was taken to Soviet children from the neighborhood. In general, these were the children of war, but in our village (Sigmar, a suburb of the K-M-W) lived mostly family members of the Soviet-German joint venture "Bismuth", which is developing uranium deposits and other minerals. Its management is still evokes associations with numerous Research Institute on Leninsky Prospekt.

2. As soon as I came to Sigmar, then without hesitation learned Shtertselshtrasse - the street where we lived. Machines just got a lot more - before they did not have (or rather, were only the most hardened party members).

5. And when I saw our house on the left as though it ached.

6. Immediately remembered standing with my brother on this porch when my mother accompanied us in the first and second classes.

7. Our window on the first floor to the right. Small window - a bathroom and kitchen. Tightness Khrushchev was also an export product in the Soviet era.

8. With the area in front of the house were removed and the old lampposts "lazilki."

9. But sandpit remained at the same place where it was.

10. And this platform where the pope bathed in the winter ice rink. Only the winter in Saxony filthy and warm, so the ice melted quickly.

11. When we were little, the house seemed just huge, and the track around it could be compared to a marathon. We drove through it on bikes, "an adult" brother in the two-wheel ...

12. ... and I - with additional small wheels at the rear.

13. This building was once the Palace of Culture, which took place in amateur arts festivals and all sorts of party conventions. Now here Hotel.

14. But the street stands the newspaper "Pravda" were - but now they do not hang out political information and restaurant menus.

15. In this wing of the Palace of Culture was a movie theater, and on Sunday mornings there showed cartoons. And on this wall, full size, are profiles of Marx, Engels and Lenin on a red background.

16. But a lot and changed. Football field behind the house is gone, and instead now just a lawn (our balcony on the first floor, second on the right).

17. And instead of ice cream shop is now a pastry shop. Further down the street it was part of the Soviet military - it, of course, also eliminated.

18. The building of elementary school (which I also immediately thought) already occupied by offices ...

19. The zoo is also a change - everything was more haytekovskom style.

20. ... but the bird remained the same hand as before.

22. Of course, Christmas bunnies, too little gained in weight (to the right of the kindergarten friend, who stayed to live there)

24. It was only on his father goloviznoy «Das Kapital» in the center of time has no power.

25. By the way - for the construction of monuments in sotsbloke treated en masse: the twin brother of the Head, only sheared and shaved, standing in Ulan-Ude, Russia. Sculptor same.

26. In Chemnitz ordinary tourist to do, of course, nothing. Pretty boring city Desecrated fifty years scoop.

27. This cafe "Moscow", which still retains its appearance "House Toys" Yakimanka and the "House of Books" on the Arbat.

28. Unless the Theater Square at least some element of antiquity is.

29. ... but occasionally come across other GDR ovskie curiosities

30. But I'm not coming here for the sights, but for the memories. If you have a place where like back - always ride. The feelings that you experience, wandering through the children's trails are worth.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting