Below me was moving earth

Beneath me the ground was moving

Spring Irina Suvorova Efimovna good fortune. The house in which former nurse sanatorium railway station Sergach lives since 1978, got a new roof. Now he is the most visible on the Lenin street. House Suvorova still looks smart, like a schoolboy on the first of September. Repair was made by the Gorky Railway under the program to improve the living conditions of railway workers - members and veterans of the war.
Although that expired almost a year, Irina Efimovna all can not calm down. Hardly that, he recalls his happiness. And then he begins to give thanks. The woman made a detailed list of names of "guilty" in a new roof. Here everything from the Lord God to the chief of the Gorky road Lesun, who personally congratulated Suvorov Victory Day.
In memory of this woman to be envied. She clearly remembers the frightening details of three-quarters of a century gone through it. For example, the first forty minutes of our meeting, she told me how her son went to visit conscripts October 3, 1977. And what patterns were Polotenchik in a soldier's canteen. And they washed the mug with her daughter. And what goodies they brought with them - to treat fellow son. And how the other "highly intelligent" parents tried to carry on the territory of the vodka in a plastic bag without telling vigilant inspection, but did not work ...
But when Irina Efimovna recalls recipe decoction of spruce needles, alder earrings and tells how to have to suck birch leaf to survive Buchenwald, it was then grow to a chair and cease to understand why the outside is so peaceful it is snowing, and the lights near the House of Culture serenely floating in twilight and go out.
[next]
In August 1941, she was twelve years old. Then she lived with her mother and sister in Belarus, Rechitsa District. The elder brother - the Far East, the older sister - in Lviv. It is hard to imagine that the Germans first she saw only the second spring 42. Until then, the village Kuzmino they do not appear. There was no need, and in the fall and spring kuzmintsy lived on the island, cut off from the outside world pours tributaries of the Dnieper and Berezina. In summer, through the swamps not everyone will pass, and in winter the snow up to his waist. People hid the boat, cut all the dogs, so as not to make noise, and lived rumors. The Germans were firing in the area of ​​the village, together with the residents, burned and poisoned wells. Finally, in May reached and Kuzmin.
 - We went to the house of two officers walked around the room, my sister did not pay attention, - says Irina Efimovna. - Thought his superiors to find an apartment, but the house was too small.
 - How do you understand this?
 - German knew.
 - Where?
In the village we have two men returned from German captivity after the first war with the German women-wives, and their children spoke the language. In school, we taught German Jew. I'm easy to learn ... And they went, and threw after the German. They roamed from house to house, took everything, even clothes. Cattle cut and left - silence ...
Our chairman said it was time to us in the forest. And we began to leave. Chairman - commander of the guerrilla group. And our forest Kerbitsky know what? Here you will enter - just go out in Voronezh. The children gave the chairman a traitor, they were shot in front of goal, the wife mad, wandering the streets and howled, and he returned to the village, and died there. He was a good man. We were in fact father left, the house sold, drove off to the Urals "Twenty-Five-Thousander" collective organizing, and the chairman, we built a new house ...

And I was with the partisans. I went to investigate. He dressed beggar - and villages for alms. Sometimes weeks from village to village, and Holmichi and Rechitsa and Bragin. And even in Ukraine. Little boy with me released, but his name I did not know. We asked for bread and the terms looked and listened, but which was arranged as a German, what number and how best to approach him. We spent the night on Forests on partisan points in shalashika. A Khomich and other cities, we had an apartment where connected. We never do not write anything, everything is just a keepsake. After we and bridges undermine and derail the train started up ...
A lot of things seen. For Holmichami five kilometers - ravine. We just went back through it and back - do not understand, do not recognize the place. No ravine. One field. Come on, and under the earth sways us. I say - an earthquake! In a spirit ran to the forest, scary, heart pounding. But where the ravine something gone ?! The commander told me as he:
 - Hey, guys, in the ravine of Jews the Germans buried alive. And because the land was moving in the ravine and turned.
I was offered a drink of vodka, to a come, and I did not. For three days there could not ...

And then I was sent to the Ukraine. Of the two sat down before I could convey information, and the third hit in a raid. And no way out, the dogs led us to the Lutsk, and then loaded into trucks and taken to Germany. All the Jews were still on the road somewhere in Poland dropped. And others in Buchenwald.
The children lived in separate barracks. Every morning, those who do not rise to his feet he could on the truck were taken away and burned. But we were there a little Jew saved. He was a German, as we got, it is not clear. And that about him matron did not occur, we have his head washed decoction of birch leaves. Then he became of the black-haired piebald.
Barak was standing near the forest and the forest like a home to me. I gather various herbs - Lungwort, yarrow, with alder earrings, spruce needles, brew, and we drink. But their stomachs and rescued and survived.
I somehow believe that staying alive. There are people like me, Zdorovenki, twelve people were. Rooms at hand, we did not put the blood taken for their soldiers, two hundred grams, fed sugar water. I believe that will survive. Then the bombing began. And one morning, as early as April 45th, matron themselves let us go. They said go wherever you want. So go and no one could - have spread in different directions as tarakanchiki.

I saw on a mountain farm in a barn in a haystack crawled and watch - dog. Smell me, he came over and sat down. Not like we have in the camp: do not rush, and guarded, so I did not come out. And in the evening the owner came back, German. I thought he was my surrender, and he his jacket in the box and threw me into the house led. There's mistress says here, they say, you brought the girl there. She asked if anyone had seen. No one. He ordered the water to heat up and wash me. She sat me in the trough, wash, and she cries:
 - My God, what have they done, afraid to touch!
I'm like a match to me all of her dresses as worn on a stake.
 - Bread much she did not come, - said the master - and then die. Give her cucumbers and cabbage slightly.
I have lived long, the owner took me to the city Pettsnik, and there we collected all the survivors. We were loaded on the machine and taken to Breslau, where certificates have imposed, looking for relatives, again sorted by train - home.

In Rava-Russian begged me to put off the train, I knew his address and was going to go home on foot. A medical colonel, head of the train, said to me:
 - We leave you, only you, devonka, do not tell anyone that went to the partisans. Around Bandera know - instantly killed.
So I came to Lutsk, and there met a familiar and learned through her e-mail address in Lviv, where my middle sister worked. And it went. And she did not recognize me right away, he said to her that I was shot. All my time living at the station, where an older sister was working in the railway houses. And here we come, my sister sleeps, my mother washes the laundry, left me in the hall, and I hear them talking:
 - Mom, you go to church, you Irinka commemorated?
 - For health, - mother responds. - I have it even in my dreams did not see the dead. And the dream of these days has been: three geese flying, and one went to low-low and approached me. I've woken up ...
 - Wait, Mom, - sister says - that drops drink ... alive our Irinka ...
And the door opens. I threshold:
 - Mom!
And she:
 - Here it is, my goose came! - And fainted.
And I went, and nourished. I went to work as a nurse in the infectious diseases clinic, the school graduated, lab was in medical school. And no one, no one told me that partisan went to investigate. Even her husband first ten years of a word.
He Lviv fire graduated from college, we had to infectious met. In the 56th he distributed to Arzamas, and then in Sergach. And he is old enough to colonel. I followed him here. In linear hospital she worked as a medical assistant at Mota of traveling, and in the 79th turned into a sanatorium "Silver Springs". We have a year this house was given, but there are neighbors living, I tell you, and my husband quarrel with his superiors did not know how ...

And another hour in the same intonations and details I heard a story about a new apartment, a retelling of letters eldest son from service, the details of how the flies built a new pozharku as ill and died unexpectedly, as told in three days and a few hours before death about daughter's troubles, and granddaughter of the recipes from the children's colds. And, of course, a wonderful new roof. And twenty times looked at the ceiling with dark stripes on the former runs. The ceiling is no longer flowing.
And outside it was still snowing, and the city Sergach lying at the bottom of the winter twilight. From the bottom of lit windows of the houses. All cafes walked celebrating weddings and funeral because it was Saturday. And for the same reason, the city ended the only bath bath day, and smoke from the chimney stretched from the last effort, as if zatushennoy candle.
Irina Efimovna me to the gate. I walked aimlessly. And all that my eyes have seen, at every step, and a sigh of anything else that evening I was not as grateful and thanks.

© Maxim Kungas

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting