Jeremy Clarkson: I went to worse Lada cars

When Russia was ruled by the Communists, no one could simply buy a car.

To collect enough money, I had to save up a few hundred years.

As a rule, it means giving up food and the sale of children for medical experiments.

In the end - when the piggy bank filled with - you go to the local authority to which it was necessary to inform in writing why you need a car, and where did you get the money.

A year later - at the end of the investigation - you have reported, what the car is waiting for you.

And only then, after four years - when you could easily have glue fins - the car was ready. And almost always it was a VAZ 2101.

Better known to you and me under the name Lada Riva. This machine appeared in the sixties under the brand Fiat, and - surprisingly - it did not stop production until last Monday. As with the last car rolled off the line.

So, the last time I criticized the Lada, someone in Moscow drew me - bound hand and foot and mouth sealed - in the trunk of his Priory.

So I should be careful to choose your words regarding the Zhiguli. Well, I'll try ... they were shit.

The last time I went to the SLX 1.6 Lada 1987 model year, which developed 86 horsepower - about as much as can be expected from most electrical appliances in your kitchen.

She was making a sound like riding on gravel, it has been slower than the tectonic plates and simply absolutely refused to enter the turns. Yes, each was Ladas steering wheel. Dunno why - it was not even born the man who has enough strength to turn it.

The same can be said of the brake pedal. How much it did not click on - still the only way to stop is to enter into a lamppost.

Not surprisingly, many British miners changed their Lada at Reliant Robin. A ride on three wheels was safer.

Of course, many felt that time able to withstand Russian Lada road Russian winter and Russian women in the passenger seat - they are, at least, must be reliable.

And it is true. Engines usually successfully walked the 400, 000 kilometers.

Unfortunately, the pump, electrical, starter, alternator and ignition system constantly broke.

And to get a spare part was required to submit a written application to the local authority, to wait a year or two of its consideration, and then another six years - the very detail. That does not work either.

The only positive feature of Riva was its cheapness.

Let us not forget, however, that for the punch in the face, too, do not have to pay dearly.

Oddly enough, however - it is by no means the worst of the machine on which I have ever ridden.

There are two far more terrible car: FSO Polonez and - number 1 - Morris Marina.

Who - because that's a coincidence - also did the communists. Only local.

via speakers Jeremy Clarkson

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting