Travel Notes. Mozambique.

Quite by chance I ended up in Mozambique. In Maputo, capital of Mozambique, arrived early in the morning. A total of 16 hours had to get first to Cairo, and from there to Johannesburg and from there only in Maputo. The first test is waiting for the traveler at the airport. Visa put right on the border. Takes is 5-10 minutes per person. Therefore, if you are not lucky with the seats in the aircraft, be prepared to spend several hours at the border. I went out one of the first and stood in line just 40 minutes. Leisurely border guard photographs of newly arrived tourists, then fingerprinted, then print and visa pasted in the passport. Pleasure trample Mozambican land costs 60 euros.

Mozambique guides for some reason called "the land of smiles." I smile I here met only once. Some Gopnik noticed an expensive camera, broke into a smile, anticipating how stroll easy prey. "Modern Maputo called the most beautiful capital in Africa." It is not I say it again, beckoning people travel sites. We read further: "The beauty of this city is worth seeing at least once go through drowning in the shade of jacaranda and yarkotsvetuschih sikimor streets, admire the parapet seaside boulevards on the warm ocean without a single wave, a huge moon, illuminating everything around for kilometers, an endless sandy beach, luminous starfish on the bottom, which can be seen directly from the veranda of the house. "Judging from the stories - a paradise on earth. Are you ready to go and enjoy the Jacaranda sikimorami? Then let's go!

Source

01. Let's start with history. Previously, Mozambique was a Portuguese colony and was called Lourenco Marques. In the 60s of the last century the city has been very popular with tourists, it was all good. Then the center began the war for independence that lasted 10 years and ended only in 1974.

02. The People's Republic of Mozambique was proclaimed on June 25, 1975 in accordance with the Lusaka Agreement. The city was renamed in Maputo. Monuments outstanding Portuguese were demolished, dark-skinned men, armed with Soviet weapons, took the place of the Portuguese troops, most of the streets are named after significant dates or Portuguese Portuguese history also received new names. Most of the ethnic Portuguese left the country, leaving Mozambique without competent managers. After the exodus of trained personnel from the Portuguese was nobody to support infrastructure development. By the early '80s Mozambique became bankrupt. The country was gripped began shortly after independence, the civil war, which lasted from 1976 to 1992. Overpopulation, unemployment, poverty and crime - is today's Maputo.

03. The city is very dirty. It seems that there is not debris removed completely. Overflowing trash cans adorn the roadsides, and the wind drives, and paper bags on the pavement. We should also mention the inhabitants, their need to deal in the streets.

04. It is not clear why people do travel to Mozambique. Boring, dirty country. Even I tell you nothing about it ...

05. chetyrehzvedochny hotel in the center was a rare gadyushnik. Gender decorated black hair, dirty towels. But the cost of 150 euros. Funny incident occurred at the reception. I got the keys and asked to deliver in a room all their suitcases with 5 photographic equipment and costumes. I do not care said: "Uh-huh ..." This, incidentally, is a very popular word. Indifferent "Hugo" is spoken everywhere, even where you are paying good money. I mean I sit in his presidential suite and stare at a pattern of black hair on the floor. I'm trying to count how many people have been here since the last cleaning. It took 20 minutes, I counted at least 10 different guests and luggage had not arrived. I go back down (the phone was not working). My bags are standing forlornly in a corner of the luggage trolley.

- Man, what suitcases and do not accept, sir? - Politely I asked the porter

- So Bring to! The sun was still high. Go, relax, sir, - indifferently replied the porter.

- But I can not rest without his Chinese silk pajamas! Come on, quickly drag bags upstairs!

- Yeah ... - said the porter and went to smoke.

As a result, I had to carry the luggage yourself. The entire staff of the rooming house looked at me and did not understand what it is I am disgusted. "Look, 20 minutes ago populated and already outraged that suitcases no!" - Whispering maids.

06. On the street selling shoes.

07. And not only.

08. Some Gopnik convey greetings.

09. gangs. While in Maputo safely. You can walk quietly.

10. Street Fashion.

11. On the emblem and flag of Mozambique shows a Kalashnikov assault rifle with fixed bayonet.

14. Many people live on the streets here in these tents.

15. Or without tents.

18. Ever since the Portuguese left here, nothing happened. Everything is just destroyed.

19. Although it was built a few houses.

20. Quay.

21. On the waterfront all come compete wheelbarrows. Special chic is to be pushed to its trough, they block the entire sidewalk, open the door and turn on the music at a high volume. What a disgusting dubstep. At the same time the owner is sitting on the fence, sipping beer and watching people passing by as shit.

22. "The king of life".

24. In Mozambique, believe that "kissing is disgusting."

25. Beach Maputo port contaminated waste and are therefore not used for recreation townspeople.

27. Few sights. Cathedral of Our Lady of Fatima. The building of the cathedral was built in eight years in 1936-1944 by the architect Marcial Freitash-and-Costa.

28. Around the cleanliness and order.

29. Iron House. He designed the famous Gustave Eiffel, thereby engineer who designed the Eiffel Tower in Paris and the Statue of Liberty in New York.

From the name it is not difficult to guess that its roof, walls, ceilings, stairs and balconies are made completely of steel. Construction of the Iron House was completed in 1892 on the orders of the colonial Governor of Belgium. He was to be the residence of the Governor General of Mozambique, but due to the hot and humid subtropical climate to live in it was impossible. Iron House was used as a courthouse, and then as a college, and even later - as a business office.

30. In the center of town is a park Tunduru, designed in 1885 by the British landscape designer Thomas Haney (Thomas Honney).

31. Park for 40 years as an abandoned.

32. It is necessary to pay tribute to maputsem, they had not plundered. So it has not even left the beautiful plants in the greenhouses.

34. Incidentally, the station in Maputo is also designed by Eiffel.

35. Next to the train station - bus station.

37. One of the main types of transport - bus.

38. It should be noted that in Mozambique are quite nervous photographing. For a photo of a government building, you can get into the cell. The police and military to shoot strictly prohibited. We have to do it in secret out of the car. Look, what a cute cops on the street.

39. Mafia.

40. Street took the smiling and hospitable shopkeepers.

41. But the real peacocks running around here.

42. Advertising painted directly on houses. Basically everything is captured Pepsi.

43. souvenir market.

45. Women.

46. ​​Older women.

47. Catch.

The END

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting