The fence has found a hero

Esquire sought creator concrete fence with diamonds ("fence along the plate-2") - the most publicized of the architectural project in Russia

Boris Lachman, an architect, 69 years old:

"I am a Muscovite, he graduated from the Construction Institute, a civil engineer, and then in the design studio" Roskoopproekt ", where I was assigned, was trained as an architect. From there, I was invited to design and technical office "Mosgorstroymaterialy", where I worked for 18 years. In the seventies was the chief architect. I was in the department of 10 people: artists, architects - I picked them myself. We are engaged in the design industry. Then it was called "technical aesthetics." One of our tasks was to develop the design of the fence. We had to do it, they say, estetikalli ekspektabl. I made three sketches, all very nice. For example, there was a fence that simulates the masonry. But somehow we chose the easiest. Maybe this game is pleasing to the eye of light and shade? Maybe, like the fact that this form of self-cleaning, the dust and dirt are washed off by rain? Designed several months. We had enough time, no hurry.

That happened with the stove on, I did not participate. Somehow it upgraded, added skirt, I have the size - but not me. For design I got a bronze medal at the Exhibition of Economic Achievements. And it was supposed to 50 rubles. Money is issued immediately, but the award itself had found me after 10 years in America. That's the only thing I have left from that history: the drawings were not allowed to export. And when they began to leave the country, I decided to leave: Journal of the American Architecture I got, I knew what was happening, and always wanted to work with the Americans, while abroad was only once - in Bulgaria, the exhibition because it was not member of the party.

In 1981 my family and I arrived in New York. Almost immediately, I began working in an architectural firm Richard M. Bellamy. Here to be an architect, you need to have the Licensee, to pass the exam. I passed it in 1990 and opened his business. Bellamy died soon after, his company broke up, and I inherited almost all orders - designed restaurants, Megamall, homes. And the last time I worked more in assoshieyshen with Dattner Architects - spend on consulting services and administra- konstrakshen Review their projects. This fence - not the greatest thing I've done. And the fact that it is literally filled up the whole country, I am not very clear.

You say concrete fences banned in Moscow? (Order of the Government of Moscow №370-RP dated April 8, 1997 resolves to fence the construction site in the city center just a metal mesh. - Esquire) was high time! I still, when I look Soviet films and just footage from Russia, even in small towns taken, I see only their fences. Feelings I have about this no. I'm an American at all. I and in Russian, then, you see, hard to say. What did you find me - it's out Of The Blue is ridiculous. I am about all this is not quite think. Nostalgia? When my nostalgia comes, I eat caviar. "

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting