The massacre in Nairobi shopping center: just Muslims released alive

In Nairobi, the Kenyan capital, armed men staged a massacre at a large shopping center and took hostages. According to the Kenyan Red Cross, killed at least 26 people and injuring about 50. Among the victims - many children and white. CapitalFM Radio reported that troops entered the building, he cleaned the store for store, gradually bringing people to the street.

AFP a police source claims that at least one gunman during stripping wounded and detained.

The totals are more victims. Thus, the reporters of publication Daily Nation reported on Twitter that went into the complex after police had counted 26 bodies.

Shopping center Westgate focused on branded goods, is a popular holiday destination among wealthy Kenyans and foreigners living in Nairobi. On weekends the complex is usually crowded. NEWSru Israel adds that the mall is owned by Israeli businessmen.

According to witnesses, armed men broke into the mall and opened fire on the people are inside. They used grenades. Currently attackers in the building. They took an unknown number of hostages. Requirements for the release of these people do not push the militants.

CapitalFM compares what is happening with the bloodiest terrorist attack in the history of the country when in 1998 the militants "Al-Qaeda" bombed the US embassy, ​​killing more than 200 people.

AP reports that Molly nearest hospital, where the wounded were brought, overflowed in the first hour after the attack.

Publication The Star that the police used tear gas to disperse the crowd, prevented the evacuation of victims.

Initially, there were reports that the goal of the attackers - robbery. However, the Interior Ministry citing eyewitnesses indicates that the attackers broke into the building from the beginning opened "shooting indiscriminately." According to local media, more people started to shoot on the street.

The publication of the South African News24 claims that the attackers shot people "non-Muslim" appearance and believes that if a terrorist attack, the responsibility for it carries associated with "Al-Qaeda" group "Al-Shabab».

Reuters reminds that the militants "Al-Shabab" had previously threatened to attack the complex Westgate, popular among the local population and the wealthy expatriates - working in Nairobi, hired managers from abroad.

Some people are lucky enough to run out of the mall. AFP reports that the commandos managed to pull visitors to the toy store, many of whom were children.

One of the escapees visitors named Jay has described what is happening inside: "They (the militants) did not speak Swahili, on something like Arabic or Somali. I saw how people were asked to say something, and then shot in the head. "

Some witnesses claimed that before the slaughter inside the building, the rebels released all Muslims.

Another buyer Kericho Kenneth says: "Suddenly I heard shots and saw people running all over the place. We lay on the floor. On the floor I saw two people bleeding. I think gunshot wounds ... We thought at first that it was the police shooting at the thieves. But we could not get out. Then he went the officer fired in the air and told us to run away ».

Staff at Sudzhar Singh said: "The militants were trying to shoot me in the head, but missed. At least 50 people were killed. Certainly, very many dead ... I saw a boy of 5-6 years were taken on a trolley from the supermarket. I think he was already dead - did not move and did not shout anything. "

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting